Tropical Fish Keeping banner

41 - 55 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
I hadn't thought of that...I'll hav to wait till pay day and pick up some more rocks so I can make the caves taller. Thanks for all the input everyone!!
I can't wait to see it stocked either...will defiantly post some pics when Ive got it set up!
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
92 Posts
Sounds like this is going to be one stunning tank definitely post some picture!! :)

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
Ok everyone, attempting to upload some pics!
The tank isnt complete yet, ive got some more stones on order so when they arrive im going to re-arrange the decor a fair bit. but you get the idea so far!
Apologies for the crappy/blurry pics, its so hard to get them in focus!!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
very nice

·
Registered
22,557 Posts
Yes indeed.

·
Registered
712 Posts
Very nice! makes me miss my africans. It looks as though you did a very nice job picking stock and aquascaping. I hop you enjoy your fish. They should grow into stunners.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
Thanks everyone I couldn't have done it without all your help as I was totally clueless when i started but I've sure learned a hell of a lot!!
Now I face a new dilemma....
I'm renting, and my landlord has decided to sell the property so I must vacate!!! Any tips on how I can successfully keep my fish alive through the move??? I'm hoping I can move the tanks last, have everything else in place and spend a day just moving tanks. If I keep the filter media submerged (and aerated?) will some of the bacteria survive? I'm so upset that this has happened so soon after I just set it up and had it all going nice!!
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
That really bites that you are going to have to move. How far away are you having to move everything? Keeping the filter media wet in some of the aquarium water will help. Are you in a warm weather place? If the temps are cool you will want to make sure that you keep the exposure of the cold to the fish to a minimum.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #51
Fortunatly the new place is only about a 10 minute drive! The temperatures here at the moment are quite cool, so I will hve to watch that. Do u think I should fast the fish before the move, to minimize any ammonia/nitrite spikes when they're set up again? I'm getting nervous about moving them!
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
22,557 Posts
Fortunatly the new place is only about a 10 minute drive! The temperatures here at the moment are quite cool, so I will hve to watch that. Do u think I should fast the fish before the move, to minimize any ammonia/nitrite spikes when they're set up again? I'm getting nervous about moving them!
Posted via Mobile Device
Do not feed the fish on the day of the move.

Given the short distance, this is fairly easy to manage. Have everything else connected with moving finished prior to the day of the move so you can concentrate on the fish. Get yourself several 2-3 gallon pails (never used for anything but fish). Siphon tank water into a couple pails [these will be for the fish], about 2/3 full. Pull all rock out and place it in another pail(s) with some tank water. Net the fish into the fish-only pails. Drain the tank. Remove the substrate into another pail with water to just cover. Way you go. At the new place, set the tank where you want it permanently, add the substrate, then the rock. Half fill with fresh tap using a dechlorinator immediately to avoid killing bacteria. Add a bit of tank water to the pails with the fish to top up, then pour the fish and water into the tank.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #53
Hey everyone just an update, I've moved house now and all went well, I didn't lose any fish :) thanks to everyones advice that is! Was also a good opportunity to change around the scape of the tank so will post some pics soon! Thanks again :)
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #54
Just some updated pics on my crazy fish!! They've grown quite a bit and I think my tank is a little too overstocked so I'm looking at trading in some of these guys soon...but i can't decide which ones coz I love them all!!!

Attachments

·
Registered
22,557 Posts
The rift lake cichlids are indeed beautiful fish, and yours are certainly that.:-D

41 - 55 of 55 Posts