Tropical Fish Keeping banner

21 - 40 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
1,824 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Cutting coral is commonly refered to as fragging. Each type of coral has a slightly different way of making a successful frag. Wich then becomes a clone of the mother or doner coral.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
6,174 Posts
HAHA! LOVE me some KittydoOdles, but. . . this time, the REAL reverse gorilla is. . . prettier. ^.~

Cutting coral is commonly referred to as fragging. Each type of coral has a slightly different way of making a successful frag. Wich then becomes a clone of the mother or doner coral.
Posted via Mobile Device
Neat stuff! Do you ever let them go until they divide on their own? (assuming that they do)

Thank you for humoring me with answers for my obnoxiously clueless questions. I wasn't kidding when I said I know NOTHING about corals - only now, thanks to Gilly - I know THREE things! ^_^

How many different kinds do you keep? o_O

·
Super Moderator
3,247 Posts
The radioactive Dragons eye for sure and probably the Tubbs Blue.

USPS will take forever to get to Canada, even the priority. Fed ex or UPS on shipping something like that is the only way to go.

USPS would work although they would need to be packaged well and have a heat pack, the temperatures are getting cold now in Canada at night. I would be willing to buy some from you though.

·
Registered
1,824 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
I have heat packs and thicker styrofoam and I would love to try. I was thinking about sending you a few frags and some macro algae for free,I might be interested in some assistance in the shipping though.Depends on what this all comes out too.You sure you don't want any mohawks? I am fragging those any how.

·
Registered
1,824 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Oh and chesh I do let them spread on their own but only for so long as they can come in contact with near by corals and start fighting. As far as zoanthid types I have easily over 50 types,maybe 60, but not all of them have snazy names and some appear to be similar to the untrained eye.All colors and plenty of patterns appear on the zoanthid coral,and it never ends.

·
Registered
6,174 Posts
Oh and chesh I do let them spread on their own but only for so long as they can come in contact with near by corals and start fighting. As far as zoanthid types I have easily over 50 types,maybe 60, but not all of them have snazy names and some appear to be similar to the untrained eye.All colors and plenty of patterns appear on the zoanthid coral,and it never ends.
I tried to resist asking another silly question, but can't! How exactly do corals go about fighting?! (maybe need Kitty to illustrate this one, lol)

That's a lot of Zoanthids! And Zoanthid types are not the only types you keep. . . O.O I would love to see pics of your setups! Trying not to beg... :D

·
Registered
1,824 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Different corals employ separate strategies for their warfare. The methods can evil sounding indeed as stinging,digesting,poisoning,overgrowing, and chemical signal warfare are part of the battle scheme. Some corals can get along but for the most part there will always be a loser. Also do to the fact I "bank" corals I can only have small colonies of some due to space restrictions.

·
Registered
2,088 Posts
ooooohhh digesting sounds ominous! *giggles*

"Get out of my territory or I'll... I'll... DIGEST YOU!"

XD

·
Registered
1,824 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
It is really amazing to see,also unfortunate, as they some how extrude a large mass of internal tissue and consume an area of the neighboring coral. If I was more organized in my picture filing I might be able to find the number of coral fights I have photoed. I would have to start another thread as to not derail this one too much.

On another note what do you say Tazman? Lets do it before true winter really sets in.

·
Super Moderator
3,247 Posts
I have a severe chest infection and am not in a state to do anything at the moment, I barely managed to refill my auto top off system. I will certainly keep it in mind though, once I am fully recovered.

·
Registered
1,824 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
You should do a little research"get a good book" and start a nano. As long as you don't over do the fish in the tank a zoa nano is pretty easy.Just keep up on top offs and water changes.

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
Hmm. I'm very tempted to do it in the 55 in a couple years. but maybe sooner i can do a nano. these are just so pretty! you probably mentioned it earlier or elsewhere, but how large is this tank?
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
6,174 Posts
*giggle*
Purple People Eaters!!! >.< My kids would have gotten that one, too!
Stunning is right - I could stare at these for years without growing tired of them. That's just based on appearances alone - everything new I learn makes them seem even more fascinating! Thank you so much for sharing them with us!

. . . feel better soon, Tazzie! :(

21 - 40 of 67 Posts