Tropical Fish Keeping banner

1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
1,824 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Radioactive Dragon Eyes are a nice and hardy zoanthid variety that grows at a pretty good rate.

and tell me these bad boys are not cool, they are called mohawks or Event Horizons as you see the little stars.

·
Registered
6,174 Posts
Oooh, flowers!!! O.O

::SHINYEYES::

After I picked myself up off the ground, I went back to look at the shots again a few times. Wow! I really can't come close to picking a favorite in that group! (this seems to be a problem I have!)

Welcome to the new world, Chesh!!! Filled with Radioactive dragon eyes, and Whamin Watermelons to make your blue eyes see comets and stars!
>.<

Thank you so much for taking (and posting) such lovely shots!

. . .I'm super curious, but know nothing about saltwater (except PRETTY!), and don't intend to start a tank. Tell me something about them, please?! Aside from that they're gorgeous, I mean. . . ^_^

·
Registered
1,824 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Most of these are zoanthids but I do have a few types of palythoa and protopalythoas. All of these corals are soft so they form no calcerous skeleton.Most of them reproduce by bilateral fission and are clones of each other wich continue the process and form matts of polyps. There are some that also incorporate sand and rubble into their bodies wich I find interesting but most of those are palythoas. These groups I have listed also contain palytoxin wich is extremely toxic and in certain concentrations can be deadly.

·
Registered
1,824 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Also the ones I have posted are all photosynthetic but I have several that love to eat all sorts of things including tiny shrimps,infact the green comets are a palythoa and they eat rather well.

·
Registered
1,824 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Fortunately the toxin does not make the transfer through skin so as long as you don't have any cuts,don't touch your eyes, and wash your hands before eating and such you should be good. Most people wear gloves and eye protection when cutting these corals. Some are much more toxic than the next and as a general rule of thumb the palythoas contain much more of the palytoxin.It is speculated that the specimens that exude excessive amounts of slime are also big producers of the toxin.

·
Registered
6,174 Posts
There are some that also incorporate sand and rubble into their bodies wich I find interesting but most of those are palythoas
That's so bizarrely fascinating. . .
In a home tank, would you have to provide a palythoas with a certain type of substrate, or are they happy with anything? I'm trying to draw some sort of parallel between this and the animals and plants I'm so familiar with in freshwater, and there just is nothing to compare!

Also the ones I have posted are all photosynthetic but I have several that love to eat all sorts of things including tiny shrimps, infact the green comets are a palythoa and they eat rather well.
Sounds a bit like Izzy's carnivorous plant collection!

. . . saltwater is like another (alien) world to me. Amazing!

Thank you for taking the time to share a bit of enlightenment with us lil' old freshies! Really neat stuff. . . ^_^

·
Registered
1,824 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Reverse Gorilla..I will say it again I do not make these names up. I love these with the gold orange centers,they look way better in person.This is not the greatest pic to represent them but you get the idea.

·
Super Moderator
3,247 Posts
Love the Radioactive Dragons eye, never manage to get any for my tank as they always sell out before I get them. They wont reserve them as they are so popular it seems.

·
Registered
1,824 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I will send you some for free my friend. I have plenty at the moment,have you seen the green bay packers?

·
Super Moderator
3,247 Posts
That would be awesome if you could ship to Canada :)

I would for sure take some.

·
Registered
1,824 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Ahh I will look into it. It might not be as easy as I anticipated but I may be able to swing something.

·
Super Moderator
3,247 Posts
Might be able to via UPS or fed ex, I have no clue actually.

·
Registered
1,824 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I think I can but it may be costly...so I better make it worth it,I will post up some other zoas you can choose from this way its more of a ship worthy package.

·
Registered
1,824 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
So I asked a friend who ships out of country on occasion and she said that Canada has slow mail? Is that true?I wanted to do USPS but it would take 3-5 days,fed ex is another option but so costly. I think I may have to experiment and test my packing skills and go with the USPS.

·
Registered
1,824 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
This is a bad picture of the Green Bay Packers Zoa I can cut you some of too,if you like em?They have a nice red colored center.

·
Registered
1,824 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I bet you want some blue to go with the green and red,these are tubbs blues...anything appealing yet?

·
Registered
6,174 Posts
Reverse gorilla. really?! I am nowhere near creative enough to have come up with a name like that, but I'm thinking my six-year-old would be an excellent choice for the job >.< The scary thing is that. . . I can see how it applies! Green Bay Packers, is silly, too - do any other football teams have mascot zoanthids named for them?

How do you separate/prune(?) them? You keep throwing the word 'cut' around, and I wince EVERY time I read it. I'd have a difficult time cutting such a pretty thing. . . You guys are brave to attempt international shipping! *fingers crossed* that all goes well with this venture! Tank sharing such a lovely thing to see <3

Tubbs blues has me all swoonish. . . just gorgeous!

::shinyeyes::

1 - 20 of 67 Posts