Tropical Fish Keeping banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'd like to set up a 20g long tank with some vallisneria, river rocks, and sand substrate. I'd like a current, so I'm thinking about using a canister filter with the in flow tube on the opposite end as the out flow tube. I'm also going to take two power heads with an under gravel filter. One with normal flow, and the other with reverse flow on the opposite end of the tank. The idea behind this is to create a cycle effect with water flowing one way above the gravel, and the other direction under the gravel, simulating a river. Since zebra danios love current so much, they will be the centerpiece of the tank. What else could go in there?

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That's a good idea. Are there any guramis that like a lot of current, or maybe other danios or tetras? The tank is just a thought right now though. I have a 10 gallon that I want to plant like crazy, and a 75 that's eventually destined to be a discus tank. This one won't be on the table until a year or two from now. Once I start it up though, I'll make a journal for it on here, and I'll be open to a lot of everyone's input...That's the beauty of this forum. There are a lot of smart hobbyests putting their heads together to make some pretty awesome tanks!

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
yeah, i read that too. So far I'm planning on putting the danios and ottos in the tank. Are there any tetras or rasboras that would thrive in a tank like this? I don't want to throw a fish in there that can't handle it.

Also, I've done some more researching, and instead of the underground filter, I'm going to use pvc pipes and place a powerhead or two on one end of the tank, and intake sponges on the other. This way I won't have to worry about the weight of the river stones crushing the UG setup. The sponges would also provide enough mechanical filtration to save the powerheads from the sand too, right?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts