Tropical Fish Keeping banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So one of my yoyos jumped randomly so i went over and picked it up with my hands, and it bit me. I was actually bleeding. I washed it. Do i have to worry about anything?
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Premium Member
933 Posts
From the research I've done it sounds like he didn't bite but you hit one or both of his suborbital spines. Seems that when they get threatened or stressed they bring the spikes out for their first defense.

But no, I don't think anything will happen to you lol, just put some antibiotic on it and cover with bandaid :)

·
Registered
2,544 Posts
Botia actually possess dagger like spines under their eyes. Likely what made you bleed. They use them for defence. Unless you have an immunodeficiency then no.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well this one for some reason lost all his mouth whiskers. Idk why. The other have them he just has a mouth now, no whiskers. Where are the spines? Cuz when i picked him up he whipped his head around and looked like he bite me, cuz it was just where his mouth was. Well im happy that nothing will happen lol. Just was making sure.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
2,544 Posts
Under his eyes.
Loss of whiskers means either he is on the wrong substrate or the substrate is dirty. It can easily get infected.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Botia actually possess dagger like spines under their eyes. Likely what made you bleed. They use them for defence. Unless you have an immunodeficiency then no.
Posted via Mobile Device
Okay good to know. Thanks to both of you.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Under his eyes.
Loss of whiskers means either he is on the wrong substrate or the substrate is dirty. It can easily get infected.
Posted via Mobile Device
The substrate is basically sand. Also it isnt dirty. Plus the other to have there whiskers, so do all my cories. So i dont know
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
2,544 Posts
Some specimens are more sensitive than others.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ya, but i dont know if that is it. It could be dont get me wrong. Eat eats normal and acts like everyone else. His look just gives him a little more character, i guess lol
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Premium Member
933 Posts
It could still be infected though if he accidentally hurt it on something like a rock or something, anything really and it just became infected.

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So should i do anything? It has seemed to stop. But you can literally see his mouth, it is sort of cool.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Premium Member
933 Posts
If you can keep him in quarantine while you do nightly baths of Potassium Permanganate for 30 minutes, that should help him, double dose and don't let the bath water touch the normal quarantine water.

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I cant quarantine him. Is there something i can dose or treat the whole tank with? Diseases are not my best thing.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Premium Member
933 Posts
Why not? You can float a small tank in the normal tank for the time being.

·
Premium Member
933 Posts
doesn't have to be a tank, can be any container that hasn't touched soap. A kritter keeper or a storage bin from walmart.

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
But i also have no way to oxygenate the water. How many baths would i have to do? Is what happened to him life threatening?
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Premium Member
933 Posts
Yes, it is life threatening eventually. It may take time for it to actually turn into a body infection, hard to say though since each fish is different. He'll be fine in a temporary situation, it's more important that you get rid of any infection he may have.

·
Premium Member
933 Posts
You can go one of two ways, you can use Furan-2 or KanaPlex (Kanamycin) and follow the directions or you can do the Potassium Permanganate (Jungle's Clear Water) baths nightly in a separate container. Either one is fine to do and I can instruct further on each whichever you chose.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts