Tropical Fish Keeping banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have five aquariums. My main tank is a 40 gallon bow front. I have a little 2.5 gallon in which Java Moss does well. I guess it has the lighting the moss likes so I move moss there to rejuvenate and then back to where it came from. I usually need to cut it and throw half away. Next to it is a Betta tank and next to that is a 5 gallon nursery. The nursery has produced a lot of Platys and Mollies. A couple weeks ago, I thought I glimpsed a baby Molly in the moss tank but then couldn't find it. And how could it jump out and over and in?

I was working last night setting up a tank for shrimp. I pulled up a big mass of moss, cut it off and moved it to the new shrimp tank. I couldn't believe what was exposed. It was a baby Cory. I have Bronze Cories in the big tank but this fry has brown spots. It's about 1/2" to 5/8" long. Where did it come from?

I've read that in nature, wading birds can move fish species when eggs stick to their legs. Do Cory eggs stick to plants. Does anybody have a guess where this little guy came from?

·
Registered
19 Posts
That's cool, post some pictures. It does sound like a bronze cory. Baby corydoras usually look different from parents and start getting colour as they grow. Obviously, it happened when you moved the moss. Corys will stick eggs to plants if they look nice more preferably than to a glass.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for verifying what I was guessing. I was lucky enough to get a fertilized egg out of the bowfront before it was eaten. Really good dumb luck. I'll see if I can get a picture. For all I know, there might be more than one. I have never had fish in this little tank and there is a lot of debris from the moss. When I move the moss, a cloud forms. I'll take the moss out and let the cloud settle and then I'll take a good look.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Yeah, that was great timing when you moved the moss. You might have some more, but if not that's still amazing especially when you don't plan to do this. It just shows that you're taking good care of your tanks, congrats!

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you for the compliment. They take a fair amount of work but the reward is great. I've had aquariums almost continuously since I was around 10 years old. That makes it 59 years that I've had tropical fish.

I moved the moss tonight. I have only one baby Cory but this still tickles me. I was wrong about it's color. It has a brown head and black spots over it's back. I took a bunch of pictures. The Cory blends in with the bottom but I'll try to crop out a picture tomorrow.

Now I have to do a water change at my GloFish tank. Last night my youngest grandson dumped an entire container of food into it. This tank has done incredibly well. It has 10 GloFish that have grown large, 5 Red Wags from my nursery and 2 Corys. It is only a 10 gallon tank but it's heavily planted and I take good care of the water.

This is another tank that might have been the source of the fry.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well, here I go again. The tank that I found the Cory in had a lot of moss. One evening, shortly after I made my post here, I removed most of it. That left a lot of debris floating around but I saw the Cory in typical Cory mode with tail up while rooting through the gravel. I looked again before going to bed, the water was clear but I couldn't find the Cory. I looked just about every day since and couldn't find it. I was going to write here that I lost my Cory but your first thought would be that it died. I considered that but couldn't find it's little body.

Fast forward to today. I stopped at a pet store to buy snails. I decided to rescue a Betta. I hate to see them stuck in those stupid tiny boxes. I brought one home and put it in the empty tank that I had seen the Cory in and then I got a great surprise. There was the Cory happily swimming along he bottom. I couldn't believe my eyes and yelled for my wife to come and see. She was equally happily surprised. I can't image where it was. There are no ornaments or anything else on the bottom.

Since I mentioned snails, here is another story. My 40 gallon tank is a bow front with much of the top covered. I've had a lot of algae growing and I had a couple big and beautiful snails in smaller tanks. I moved two into the big tank and couldn't find them a couple days later. I eventually found them dead on the floor. One in front and one behind. How and why is a mystery but I guess that is what to expect from Mystery Snails.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Its amazing what can be transferred in moss. I had all sorts of fancy types of moss in a shrimp tank once, and discovered a blue-eyed fry in there. Never had fish in that tank. I guessed that it must be a young Praecox Rainbow transferred from my tank directly next to the shrimp tank - somehow. Once the fry got older, I found out it was a Neon Tetra. I had no Neon Tetras at the time. But apparently there were some in the tank the moss had come from. A single egg had made it and hatched in my shrimp tank. I was especially surprised because the eggs of Neon Tetras are supposed to be light-sensitive. I guess there was enough Cholla wood and moss to provide the necessary shade.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts