Tropical Fish Keeping banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
all my guppies died. they did not float to the top like other fish do wen they die. they just sank to the bottom upright....and died....????????????????????

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
weird. i would recommend getting your water tested asap and post the results. im sorry for your loss. =( i hate it when a fish dies, much less all of them. about how long has your tank been established? any diseases lately? abnormal behavious? water quality? heater failure? please post those water params asap so we can help determine what happened.

bri

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
hmmm i think i had columnus with one fem. guppy. and a torn fin with my male guppy. hers the timeline...

new aquarium
comets and mollies
guppies and tetras
tetra stuck in filter (died)
female guppy died (culumnus?!?!)
male guppy dies (just died at the bottom of the tank) (never floated up)
last female guppy dies (ssame as male guppy)

fish in tanks before now
5neon tetras
2 mollies
2comets
3guppies

now (ouch)
4neons
2molies
2comets

one plant ?????? ask blue i dont know what plant i have in my tank. i forget the name. blue has pictures of my tank.

·
Registered
13,248 Posts
St6_Devgru said:
hmmm i think i had columnus with one fem. guppy. and a torn fin with my male guppy.
More like columnaris.:) Symptoms are white-edged scales, white lips and clamped fins. External bacterial treatments would help. Columnaris is often called false NTD(Neon-tetra disease) as some fish enthusiasts tend to falsely diagnosed the Neon tetras' symptoms for the true NTD quite often. I wouldn't be explaining about NTD as it's not necessary right here.:wink2:
hers the timeline...

new aquarium
How long has it been running?
comets and mollies
guppies and tetras
Comets as stated in your previous threads cannot fit in your tank and are totally incompatible with your fish. Let alone guppies and neons which may end up in the comets' guts soon.:blink:
one plant ?????? ask blue i dont know what plant i have in my tank. i forget the name. blue has pictures of my tank.
I haven't gone to my email account yet but I'll inform you if I can identify it. If not, I'll resize and upload them if I have time later. With too much kilobytes, I cannot reload them in about 2 hours.:blink:

·
Registered
13,248 Posts
St6_Devgru said:
does table salt kill fish?
No, it doesn't. However, it can kill if you put too much salt in your tank with salinity increasing beyond freshwater life.
Its benefits for short-term(applies only to those intolerant of salt long-term) are production of slime coat allowing your fish to be shielded from parasites, elimination of parasites and allowing fish to survive well in a tank of high nitrites.

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
i would still recommend posting your water quality parameters. from a test. ph, nitrate, nitrite, ammonia, etc. these may have had a hand in the demise of your tank...and i dont think that he has the comets in there anymore blue. i remember that from a previous thread....

how long has your tank been running, months, days, years?

thanks!

bri

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
hmmmm ok i tried to add you as my friend on myspace :D . yeah ......i put my comets somewhere else. i have a 5 gallon "nursery tank" for my mollies that should be due at around christmas. so grand total is 2 mollies and 4 tetras in my 10 gal. is that still over crowded?

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
ummm its been running for 3 weeks. gosh im so mad.i cant get a water test kit. expensive on a 10$ allowance very expensive yes i know priorities, christmas, parents not understanding its hard man. its hard. i think im gonna quit while im ahead. i will stop aquariuming until i like get a job or a house. maybe in about 10 years. i dont wanna kill fishies cuz im not prepared. its like having kids and yuor homeless. dont wanna...

·
Registered
13,248 Posts
St6_Devgru said:
so grand total is 2 mollies and 4 tetras in my 10 gal. is that still over crowded?
Depends on what species of mollies you have. If those are sailfin, I'd say your tank is overcrowded as sailfins grow rather large and best kept in 40 gallons or more.

·
Registered
13,248 Posts
St6_Devgru said:
ummm its been running for 3 weeks. gosh im so mad.i cant get a water test kit. expensive on a 10$ allowance very expensive yes i know priorities, christmas, parents not understanding its hard man. its hard. i think im gonna quit while im ahead. i will stop aquariuming until i like get a job or a house. maybe in about 10 years. i dont wanna kill fishies cuz im not prepared. its like having kids and yuor homeless. dont wanna...
You're going to quit?
I would have thought this hobby was making you excited.:mrgreen:

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
no, your tank is not overstocked imo....BUT wherever you buy your fish supplies "should" test your water for free. so you should get it tested EVERY time you go in there, and then post the stats here. and you should save up for a test kit. in my opinion, you should not set up a tank without one. they are important for the lives of your fish.=)

it is very likely that your ammonia or nitrites spiked and resulted in the death of your guppies. guppies are not very hardy fish around here for some reason... especially since it sounds as if you might still be cycling your tank. good luck and keep us posted!

i will go add you on myspace. =)

bri

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
yes i love to breed fish its like so amazing for me. i dont want to but sometimes you think. its like having kids when ur unemployed or homeless. its not a great idea. i dont wanna become those people who get caught up and neglect their fish. you know. i dont think its the right time for me to have fish yet. im only a kid with a $10 allowance and not that much space. i prectically sneaked my ten gallon into my apartment. so yeah you gotta understand. its for the best for me fish and future generations. ill wait till all my fish die. then ill restart when im like 21.

·
Registered
13,248 Posts
St6_Devgru said:
no not sailfins
Oh I see. More like sphenops which should be fine. By the way, your plants look like Elodea densa.

Charles, what are the dimensions of your tank? Apparently, it did not look like 10 gallons to me. Your tank seems to look like 20 gallons or your pics could have deceive me.:question:

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
awww...dont let em die. you can keep the ones you have and still be happy...you just have to make sure you change the filter cartridges once a month ($3.00), do weekly water changes (1-2 gallons) feed the fish every day, and have some type of water conditioner (Stress-coat, prime, etc, $6-$9) and you should either have a test kit (strips-$10 or master-$30) and test your tank weekly. it becomes easy once you get into the hang of it. i believe you could do it on your allowance easily. just set a few bucks aside every week so when you need something you can get it. also, most fish stores will test your water for free. dont give up on your fishies. they need you! :wink:

check your private messages

·
Registered
13,248 Posts
St6_Devgru said:
they test for free? imo? wow ok so im guessing grab a sample of my water and bring it to my lfs?
Yes. Bring a sample and go to your lfs. Make sure they used liquid test kit, not expired and they should write down the exact figures based on the test.:)

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
lol i meant keep the current fish and like keep them alive as long as i can. i wont let them die. ill make them last is waat i mean. hmmmm. blue.... my plant is about4 and 1/2 uinches long so calculating that size and the water that i put into it i think its 10 gallons......

1 - 20 of 41 Posts