Tropical Fish Keeping banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
And how often do ghost shrimps, if ever, try to eat or kill corycats?

In my 12 gallon tank I plan to have 4-6 cory cats and 1-2 shrimps. Is that enough space for all of them to live at the bottom of the tank peacefully?

·
Banned
2,012 Posts
the bigger risk is if the cory will eat the ghost shrimp, there is a chance the shrimp will eat the fry but i highly doubt them eating a fish, ive only seen mine eat dead fish, there a great way to find a dead fish, just look were theres a whole bunch of them.

·
Registered
197 Posts
apparently ghost shrimp get big, so I go with ammanos, and they are perfect fine with my cories. They will even share a algae wafer at the same time with a cory, I have odd fish I know. I have never had a problem with anyone eating eachother.

·
Banned
2,012 Posts
ghosts stay rather small, 3/4 inch is the biggest one ive seen, and there cheap and are very very very un-picky, mine eat anything i give them except live fish, i swear ive seem them eat some of my coconut cave.

·
Registered
698 Posts
My LFS was talking about a full grown ghost shrimp that tore up a betta after being provoked, so it's possible that it could go either way with the ghost shrimp versus cories. The flower shrimp doesn't have claws if you're worried about the shrimp attacking the cories.

·
Registered
2,866 Posts
Depending on the species of ghost/glass shrimp they can be a max of 3/4 inch or they can reach 4 inches.

And yes I have seen ghost shrimp grab live guppy minnows and eat them very happily. The cories will likely eat them if they get hungry enough.

·
Registered
58 Posts
ghost shrimp can be quite nasty with tiny fish like fry. i went through a LOT of research and i decided that my fry tank wll ve stocked with cherry shrimp instead

·
Registered
188 Posts
i discovered cherry shrimp about 4 months ago and am absolutely in love with them to the point that i'm going to set up a 10g tank just for them.

·
Registered
2,866 Posts
Cherry shrimp are a better idea as you have found. They will breed better and will be a little easier to make a few extra $ off. I would have them but my LFS charges $17 each for them!

·
Registered
698 Posts
fish_4_all said:
Cherry shrimp are a better idea as you have found. They will breed better and will be a little easier to make a few extra $ off. I would have them but my LFS charges $17 each for them!
Mine only charges $10, but due to issues with the distributor, they only get them in very rarely. I lucked out in getting mine, the week I asked, they just happen to get them in.

·
Registered
188 Posts
go to aquabid.com and run a search for cherry shrimp. i buy them there for $1 each and they are usually in very good condition

·
Registered
481 Posts
Same thing with ebay. I picked up 12 and it came out to be $25 after overnight shipping

1 - 14 of 14 Posts