Tropical Fish Keeping banner

Worried noob

3K views 10 replies 5 participants last post by  BrideTheGoldfish 
#1 ·
We just got our first aquarium. We did some research before hand to try to ensure happy healthy fish but we are already worried. The aquarium has been running for 4 days now and the fish have been in the aquarium for right around 24 hrs
40 gallon tank that is 36x12x18.5 inches
A 40 gallon pump
A heater that is for 40 gallons but not adjustable unfortunately
2 live plants
A bubbler (had 2 hoses but thought it might be too much for them. So now just one hose)
And some decor
We have a male koi angel and a female regular angel, 2 small tiger barbs, one Bala shark and one glow shark.
The glow shark is definitely the most active, we aren't too worried about the barbs either as they are pretty active although it does seem they have to "swim harder". However the angels tend to just kind of float around at a 45° angle nose upward. And the Bala stays in the back corner of the tank not doing much moving at all. I've only seen him travel to the other side of the tank once, to immediately go back to his corner. As of right this second the test kit indicates we have 7-7.5 PH, 30 GH, 40-80 KH, 0.5 NO2, and 20ish NO3. Hopefully this is enough information for a diagnosis.

See less See more
#2 ·
Wish we has found this forum before hand. I just read a very easy to understand but detailed cycle process that I'm sure is going to be our problem. What can we do to try and safeguard our fish as best as possible now that it's too late?

#3 ·
If you don't have a filter, get one asap because you can not have a cycled aquarium without a filter. I also recommend using Prime as your dechlorinator, since that helps to detoxify the waste products the fish are producing. If you make sure to take care of them, hardy live plants such as Java Fern can help to lower the Ammonia levels and help the tank cycle faster, and getting a product like Tetra Safestart with live bacteria in it can help speed up the cycle as well.

Until your tank is cycled, you should do daily 30% water changes and gravel vacuuming. Here are directions on that: Aquarium Basics: Partial Water Changes - Article at The Age of Aquariums - Tropical Fish

You should also make sure to feed very lightly without there being any leftover fish food.

There are also some serious issues with your stocking. Bala Sharks get to a foot in length and aren't compatible with your tank size or other fish. You should return the Bala Shark. The Tiger Barbs need groups of 8-10 of their own kind, and are terrible fin nippers that will rip the Angel's fins to shreds. For this reason, Tiger Barbs should not be kept with Angels. The Glo-Shark is likely a Rainbow Shark, and will not tolerate other shark-shaped fish like Bala Sharks long term.

#7 ·
To rapidly cycle the aquarium and do less harm to the fish you can visit www.angelsplus.com and purchase an active sponge filter. Important that it be an active sponge filter which is a filter that has been cycled and in aquariums for a considerable amount of time so it contains active biological filtration. They ship from NY State and usually 2 day USPS is fine. Order placed basically after they open will ship the next day is my experience. So if you want it quickly get the order in before they open.

#5 ·
I would add more plants.

#6 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.