Tropical Fish Keeping banner

41 - 60 of 108 Posts

·
Registered
6,174 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
lol, buggist. XP I am, too! Roaches make me skeezy!
Those guys get BIG! I'm not sure if my tiny toads could handle a buggy that can get that big, but I'm going to give it a shot - I have been looking into them, and was very relieved to find that if I were to lose one, it probably wouldn't end up in a house-wide roach invasion *shudders*

Your kids would definitely get along with mine! We have so much fun in the summertime. This summer, I had 'bucket garden' outside - lots of tubs full of floating plants, and all the emersed stuff - the wildlife in our backyard increased noticeably, as it did the year before when we started work on our butterfly/hummingbird garden. . . we found lots of snails, snakes, and even a salamander (that has never happened!) Sooner or later I'll end up with my own slice of the woods - in the middle of the big city! ^__^ Then I won't need tanks anymore!

·
Reference Team
1,573 Posts
Oh I'm sure our kids would have fun together. I should get them together next tim I visit my sister up there (and bring Josh too ;-)) ...
Anywho.. So i played with roaches juuust for you * that better count for something!!! Lol*
see.. Not so bad. This would be sold as small or extra small. Westcoastroaches.com is a good cheap yet quality source.

·
Registered
840 Posts
At first I thought you were showing off your beautiful ring. Its lovely! Now I see the roach.

·
Registered
6,174 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
Pretty ring! . . . not *so* pretty roach!
It is so amusing to me that there is a shop named WestCoastRoaches, lol. You had me convinced, AND they're on sale. . .
The Husband just walked by, saw the site up, gave me a dubious look and said:
"I grew up in Baltimore City. I draw the line at roaches in the house."
Aaaah, should have ordered them earlier while he was still at work! >.<
I'll work on him. . .

They eat plant matter - would they mess up the plants in my terrarium?
(not that the toads aren't stomping all over them already!)

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
Ahh! Jes your rolly polly habitat is just too cute! I loved those things as a kid and still love poking them (even though I know I shouldn't).

I can tell you from experience a water source in the backyard brings all kinds of animals. I've found more in my yard than my neighbor's yard and she even puts out food (which is a huge no-no btw). Maybe you'll even get some spring peepers come warmer weather!

·
Reference Team
1,573 Posts
Hahaha.. Darn. Yes work on him about them. They'll not disturb the plants really . Just drop a small carrot or a slice of zucchini or such in there on occasion and they'll be happy . Oh I have companies on my list with even better names lol.
I could send you a cup of a few to ease your husband into it? I do that with my rescue aaaalll the time.. Just give me the ok and PM your address .

Sent from Petguide.com App

·
Registered
6,174 Posts
Discussion Starter #48

. . . older image of woObie Crypt Wendtii, emersed grown and close to actual size (at the time)
Love those pretty (long!) roots!

·
Registered
6,174 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
. . .taken a couple of days ago in the 55.
A ton of blur on this shot, but Liz's coloration came through so perfectly . . . <3
She's the matriarch of this tank, and everyone knows it!

·
Registered
6,174 Posts
Discussion Starter #53 (Edited)
Yep! Liz is a Bolivian ram!

. . . though they're much less showy than their German cousins, I've found these fish to be more colorful than most people give them credit for - you should see her breeding brights! . . .Liz lost her mate over the summer, but has taken his place as dominant fish in this shoal (and therefore the tank), so her coloration is typically more saturated than the others in the tank - she really is a beauty!!! *swoonsforLiz*

·
Registered
6,174 Posts
Discussion Starter #54 (Edited)
toad overload!

In nature, Fowler's toads like to watch the world (and all the yummy bugs) pass them by from little holes they dig in the ground.
They do this in their tank, too - behind the plants at the back, where the substrate is deepest (and I can't get a clear shot!). . .
This is my usual top-down angle as I pass by throughout the day. The terrarium is on the bottom tier of a tank stand, beneath the African dwarf frogs and Platy in their 29g Kindy tank home.

Everett has found a different favorite spot - one not *so* low to the ground!
He likes to keep an eye on things from a higher vantage-point - perched atop the leaves of the biggest tropical plants - in this case, a Peperomia.
. . . it didn't take him very long to figure out that in this strange new world - food comes from above!

Everything I've read lists a ten gallon tank as an appropriate size for three Fowler's at full growth - the bigger two are close to full size, already!
They seem comfortable enough, but I keep thinking that a bigger tank would be better (no escaping The Tankers Curse!)
They *may* be moving into a 30" tank over the summer, depending on how things go, and if I can find somewhere appropriate to set up either a 29 or a 20L for them. . .

The image above shows the size difference between Everett and Pete - the largest and smallest, respectively.
We've found these guys to be amazingly interactive. . . both with their keepers and the environment we've created for them.
It didn't take them very long to lose their initial shyness, and now they watch us just as closely as we watch them - or ignore us, and go about their business!
It makes me happy to see them (seemingly) feeling comfortable in their little home.
I can't help but worry about them, and wonder how this glass world can possibly compare to the natural one they were born into. . .

The plants are growing well - I had to prune again over the weekend!
The ferns and crypts are doing great - which surprises me considering how often they get trampled on at feeding time.
Most of the stem plants couldn't take the toad's abuse, but there are a couple that are hanging on - like the little Staurogyne in the water on the bottom right. . . they're popping up in the most unexpected places!
The hydrocotyle tripartita seems to be making a comeback, too - you can see it growing over the stick in the center of the shot, one of my favourite little plants, happy to see it doing well!

Hard to focus on plants when I see little Pete perched up there watching me!
*GRINS*
such a cutie!
^__^

·
Registered
645 Posts
i can not wait to start my little foray into toad keeping.i will have a lot of time to study up until then.i have some good ideas for their new home.half the fun will be designing and building their habitat. i am going to try to keep the price down.i can see it quickly spiraling out of control,with all of my grandiose ides. chesh my dear,you are such an inspiration.much thanks.

·
Registered
6,174 Posts
Discussion Starter #56 (Edited)
Three cheers for inspiration!!!

I'm really excited for your (hopefully summer?!) project, too! You promised a thread - don't forget! ^__^
It would be amazing to raise one from a tad! From what I've read, American toads are very similar to Fowler's - except they get much bigger. . . I can't wait for spring! *GRINS*

I'm still months behind on pictures, but this habitat was built after an entire summer of experimenting with plants of all kinds, and terrarium setups. I learned a lot - enough to realize how frighteningly little I know about any of it. . .

. . . and to remind me of how in awe of nature I am!

·
Registered
6,174 Posts
Discussion Starter #57 (Edited)
Older images from the summer - some of you have seen these before...
This was my first attempt at growing things behind glass.
Nothing super special, an aluminum plant along with locally-collected moss and a baby fern. . .
The jar is about 12" tall. . .

This little setup did really well for around 4 months or so with the lid on the jar cracked slightly.
I moved it one day to a spot that it didn't like as much (I guess?), then got busy and neglected it
. . .it got uggy when I wasn't paying attention. Bummer!
By that point it had grown so much that I was planning to take it apart, anyway!
All of the plants lived to thrive another day, and I'm definitely going to be using this neat jar again!

This pretty star mos was found in the same woods as the fern, and also where the rocks that live in my tanks is from. . .
This is my favorite of the many mosses that I've found there, and has proven fairly easy to keep alive.

Two other types of moss that I gathered this summer. . .they're already uploaded, might as well post 'em!

I <3 Mosssss ^__^

·
Registered
645 Posts
sooooo pretty. want to go out and look for moss now. why does there have to be 2 ft of snow in my front yard? waaaa:cry:

·
Registered
6,174 Posts
Discussion Starter #60
heehee, the awesome thing about mosses is that you totally could shovel away the snow and bring some in, and it'd get right back to doing it's mossy thing! I'm sure you'll have plenty of time to nab some for your toady habitat come spring! ^__^

I wish you could help me ID them, too Izzy! I tried. . . there are so many very similar types that can be found locally - I had to give up! I just call 'em 'starry' 'piney' and 'dreadlock' >.<

41 - 60 of 108 Posts