Tropical Fish Keeping banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I found a small wisteria plant at petsmart, but when I got it home and out of the tube, I realized it didn't have roots. The whole root system and lower stem of the plant had turned to mush. I cleaned it up, removed the decayed root, and stuck it in my gravel. Will it regrow it's roots? Or should I just watch and prepare to pull it out?

·
Registered
4,252 Posts
Yes they can make it that way. Best way is just to cut the mush part off. Being you got it out of a tube from Petsmart its probably emersed grown. It will have better luck if you pull it out and let it float on the surface so it can transition to being in water again. Let it stay there until you start to see plenty of good growth. I got some like that once planted one and floated the other. The one floating did far better then the one planted.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes they can make it that way. Best way is just to cut the mush part off. Being you got it out of a tube from Petsmart its probably emersed grown. It will have better luck if you pull it out and let it float on the surface so it can transition to being in water again. Let it stay there until you start to see plenty of good growth. I got some like that once planted one and floated the other. The one floating did far better then the one planted.
Posted via Mobile Device
Thank you so much! I'll lift it up and let it float :-D

·
Reference Team
1,573 Posts
Yes, It should be ok like that. Also if you want to speed the process up you can dose your tank with flourish comprehensive a few time over the next week. It'll work best if you use a small baby syringe and spot dose each plant especially that wisteria plant.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes, It should be ok like that. Also if you want to speed the process up you can dose your tank with flourish comprehensive a few time over the next week. It'll work best if you use a small baby syringe and spot dose each plant especially that wisteria plant.
I was so confused about all the liquid flourish bottles they have, so thank you for this. I did pick up some tabs for my gravel, but will grab some comprehensive and pack of syringes today or tomorrow for the wisteria.

·
Registered
817 Posts
I was so confused about all the liquid flourish bottles they have, so thank you for this. I did pick up some tabs for my gravel, but will grab some comprehensive and pack of syringes today or tomorrow for the wisteria.
Wisteria does not feed through the roots so any root tabs or other feeding in the substrate for Wisteria is wasted and may muck up your tank. Planted it will grow roots only to hold itself in place.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Wisteria does not feed through the roots so any root tabs or other feeding in the substrate for Wisteria is wasted and may muck up your tank. Planted it will grow roots only to hold itself in place.
What about amazon swords and anubius plants? I have 3 of each of those. I also have a java fern but I understand those don't really feed through the roots either, correct?

·
Registered
4,252 Posts
You will need the tabs for the Amazon swords. The Anubias and Java Fern will do fine with just the comprehensive fertilizer.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
You will need the tabs for the Amazon swords. The Anubias and Java Fern will do fine with just the comprehensive fertilizer.
Oh, alrighty. Should I try to pull up some of the tabs then?

·
Registered
4,252 Posts
I don't know how you have the Anubias or Java fern "planted" but they usually do best if you tie them to rocks or driftwood. If you have them planted in the substrate just makes sure you don't bury the rhizome or it may rot and then the plant will die.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I don't know who you have the Anubias or Java fern "planted" but they usually do best if you tie them to rocks or driftwood. If you have them planted in the substrate just makes sure you don't bury the rhizome or it may rot and then the plant will die.
Because that's what the packaging said to do :-/ I have gotten all my plants from Petsmart. I don't have any other kind of pet shop around here to go to. So when we initially got our tank that's all I had to go on, until I found this forum. I'm trying to learn, but I guess I'm making an awful lot of mistakes.

·
Registered
4,252 Posts
Because that's what the packaging said to do :-/ I have gotten all my plants from Petsmart. I don't have any other kind of pet shop around here to go to. So when we initially got our tank that's all I had to go on, until I found this forum. I'm trying to learn, but I guess I'm making an awful lot of mistakes.
That who in my post was suppose to be how...

Sorry!!

We all make mistakes, lord hows I have in this hobby!
The fact that you are here trying to figure out the right way and are taking the advice to heart shows how much you want to learn and care about the fish to do so.

If the Java fern and Anubias are planted that way just simply pull them up a lil till you see the rhizome. That's the base where the roots come out the bottom side and the leaves come out the top. As long as the rhizome is sitting on the substrate and buried it will be fine. I have some of mine that way.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
That who in my post was suppose to be how...

Sorry!!

We all make mistakes, lord hows I have in this hobby!
The fact that you are here trying to figure out the right way and are taking the advice to heart shows how much you want to learn and care about the fish to do so.

If the Java fern and Anubias are planted that way just simply pull them up a lil till you see the rhizome. That's the base where the roots come out the bottom side and the leaves come out the top. As long as the rhizome is sitting on the substrate and buried it will be fine. I have some of mine that way.
Thank you :oops:

I'll check them all and make sure they aren't really buried.

Reactions: Chesh

·
Registered
4,252 Posts
Seachem Flourish
Some ppl may say differently here but those are the brand I have always have used. I have pulled them out of the substrate before with no issues. With the plants you listed a tab around the base of the swords is all you need really

The plants that are heavy root feeds such as swords, crypts, Vals they need root tabs. Stems like your wisteria don't. But both benefit from liquid like the comprehensive.

·
Registered
4,252 Posts
:-?

I use my phone to type on this forum and it does some crazy auto corrects and leaves words out.

The rhizome needs to be sitting on the substrate and not buried. Sorry!

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Some ppl may say differently here but those are the brand I have always have used. I have pulled them out of the substrate before with no issues. With the plants you listed a tab around the base of the swords is all you need really

The plants that are heavy root feeds such as swords, crypts, Vals they need root tabs. Stems like your wisteria don't. But both benefit from liquid like the comprehensive.
Ok, I pulled out all but one by each plant. I placed the rest on a paper towel, and if they dry out ok I'll save them for when I get more plants (hopefully soon!). Then I'll double check if they even need them :lol:

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
:-?

I use my phone to type on this forum and it does some crazy auto corrects and leaves words out.

The rhizome needs to be sitting on the substrate and not buried. Sorry!
That's ok! I was able to figure it out. I think I have them all out. The anubius plants both have them out, but I never really did see any on the java fern. I've been nervous about that one since I first got it actually, because the roots are just a big hard ball. I pulled it up as much as I could though without it being able to float away.

·
Registered
4,252 Posts
Ok, I pulled out all but one by each plant. I placed the rest on a paper towel, and if they dry out ok I'll save them for when I get more plants (hopefully soon!). Then I'll double check if they even need them :lol:
I have let the ones I have pulled out before dry out and then used them. They seemed fine.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts