Tropical Fish Keeping banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
It all depends on which plants you have or want to use, and substrate choice. A dirted (capped) substrate will give you a bit of co2 as the dirt bed breaks down. Often, you can get away with more light and no co2 with this substrate. If you have lower light plants, and don't plan to grow anything too demanding, I think you will notice a big difference between t8 and t5HO. I mean one t5HO bulb. I don't know if you can run this fixture with just one bulb, but you could upgrade to two bulbs at a later date if you find things remain balanced and want more light still. This option is not as good as pressurized co2, but you could always get by and control algae a bit with some Excel made by Seachem or any other liquid carbon product.

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the replies!

I have been using Flourish for years with my very sad crypt, anubias, and hornwort.

If the two HO's are too much for my current set up is there a better T5 bulb I should use instead of Life Glo?
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
176 Posts
Hi La Reina, It's not that two HOt5's are too much for your setup, just that you might have to compensate for all that light adjustment at once with more co2 or liquid carbon + ferts to keep algae at bay. I was just thinking a more gradual light increase might give your tank a better chance to adjust. Nothing good happens quickly in the aquarium world. As far as I know, t5 is t5, one bulb might last longer than another however.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts