Tropical Fish Keeping banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there,
I am currently located at the southern tip of Texas and recently got back into my childhood hobby of keeping fish. I keep one of my tanks mostly filled with various mollies but one of my other tanks has a large aquatic salamander that eats small fish. Sometimes I walk down to the resaca (oxbow lake) at a friend's place and dipnet for mosquitofish, sailfin mollies, and amazon mollies. These three fish are all basically a small drab grayish fish with some yellow on occasion, but one of the male sailfin mollies developed very vibrant markings after being moved into clear water.

The brightness of his colors vary from day to day but if he's feeling good he has a bright yellow head/throat and deep black lines running along the body. he also has distinct black markings on his dorsal and caudal fins. I moved him and a female out of the salamander tank into my domestic molly tank to see how they would do and they (the male especially) have become welcome additions to the community tank.

Lately I have been getting a lot of fry that look interesting. They are too small to tell exactly how they will look as adults but I can tell that a large number are them are wild/domestic hybrids. A few from the wild female's batch appear to be pure wild.

I could not get any decent photos of the wild male but was able to splice together a short video that shows his colors. If you can get about halfway through you will have seen what I'm talking about. I think he looks similar to the one in dancelady's avatar. He's only shining yellow at a level of about 7/10 but this is how he looks most of the time. I am thinking about trying to capture a few more and selectively breeding to exaggerate those traits, I just don't know where to put another tank!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AFtxsnz-eC4&feature=youtu.be

·
Registered
1,876 Posts
Pretty fella. I had one too, I rescued him from Petco.

Would you be willing to sell me some male and female wild caught ones? :3 I would absolutely love to make more of those fish, and my male died earlier this year.

Here's mine, not sure how well you can see him, he was determined to breed with my gold gourami purchased with him and this was day one. He got brighter. But he's much like yours with yellow on his belly and bits throughout, and the end of his tail was yellow as well: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zKVoSUV7Z3c

And these were some offspring, first his offspring with a Butterfly Molly:

And these were his offspring from a marble molly...or a dalmatian, not sure which, and you can see another of his Butterfly mix babies too:

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I might be able to do that, I'll shoot you a PM later. The sailfins from the resacas here appear to be pretty slow-growing. I have not noticed much, if any growth of this pair since I brought them into captivity in the Spring, whereas some domestic fry born months after I captured the wild ones have almost caught up in size. That being said, I have observed a few large ones captured for a research project from the same locale. I have heard some interesting colors turn up on occasion though I have only seen fairly drab ones.

Complicating the matter slightly are the amazon mollies, which are an entirely female species that reproduce by using sperm from sailfins and mosquito fish to initiate egg development and essentially clone themselves. OK, well that doesn't really make the sailfins any more complicated but I do think its fascinating!

·
Registered
1,876 Posts
It is interesting.

Likely on your adults not growing: Food source change? Fry grow faster being raised on it, but the adults aren't used to it so don't eat as much maybe. My best guess to go with a new environment.

I never thought they were drab, but that's just me probably. lol Mix them right and you get some pretty good genes. The two types I got that I liked are not only pretty, but are tough little fish(not....really that little)! I was mixing their genes a bit to see about health over beauty and got both. lol A lot of times if you mix wild caught mollies with fancies, they come out the opposite, but I seem to have found two very good mixes, and one failure(mixed one with some...uh, I think it was gold nuggets, which was an accident since I didn't want the smaller framed one with the big guys...the babies looked funny and all died before they hit six months old).

Personally I like those pale colored ones, with or without gold but that does make them look better. =)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.