Tropical Fish Keeping banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
242 Posts
I was really chuffed that my wife wanted to have input in stocking our tank. She decided that green killifish would be lovely. I researched and the consensus was fin nippers.

My wife says oh no they'll be fine. The guy in LFS agreed with her.

So three male green killifish in my tank. Two days later neon and lemon tetra with missing fin bits.

Let's just say I'm not at all impressed.

Anybody live in north east England like 3 fish if not back to LFS tomorrow.

·
Registered
9,426 Posts
looks like a trip to the fish shop tomorrow :)

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Lol I got one just need to set it up but Xmas tree is being a pain.

She talked me into upping the feed in tank to see if that'll help.

However I'm now missing a neon and yes I checked the tank when I done a water change.

Trying to figure out if it jumped out or been eaten. My neon was small and a killi is about 2 - 3 times bigger than it was. No evidence of dead fish.

·
Registered
840 Posts
I've only heard bad stuff about killis as tankmates. Single species tank only if you want to keep them. Very beautiful fish, but...

About the christmas tree: I try to get mine down by newyears. Its obscuring my view of the 75gal tank!

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
With her choice in fish I think not. Lol!!!

·
Administrator
5,465 Posts
Now I don't mean to be mean.... and really I'm just funnin' ya...but... wouldn't the name make you think twice? "kill'is
Same as "barbs"... ya know that one isn't good. :lol:

Reactions: JonandJo

·
Registered
5,201 Posts
I've only heard bad stuff about killis as tankmates. Single species tank only if you want to keep them. Very beautiful fish, but...
I've kept golden wider killis in community tanks. As was mentioned, they devour guppies and other fish that act like prey. I've never had them eat anything else, including baby cherry barbs. They made great tank mates, in tanks as small as 20 gallons on up to 125.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts