Tropical Fish Keeping banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Administrator
5,465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So on Jan 30th I homed 3 very small Honey Gourmai, all males I believe in my fully planted established 10 gallon. The intention is to keep at least one of them in my office and if I need to I will move any who is aggressive to my long established 75 gallon community. So today is.... Day 29... 4 weeks and 1 day after QT. (Everything was FINE on Wednesday, 3 Honeys, 1 Mystery snail)

This morning... 2 Honeys... one is missing...:cry: and one of the remaining 2 has a bit of white fuzz on one of his feelers too. :evil: Not much but enough to notice! "Honey Ro" is still good but I'm worried. Will do a water change and then treat the tank with Meds.

·
Administrator
5,465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Today both Honey's are swimming around and active. The one with the fuzz is no longer hiding and the "fuzz" has dropped off. The snail is also active. Will keep an eye on things.

·
Registered
645 Posts
good to hear. i see a lot of people on forums saying that they do not have a qt set up,or they can not afford one.then they go out and buy a bunch of fish that die and kill everything in their tank.then they go out and buy more.my line of thinking is,if you can not afford the qt,you certainly can not afford the fish in the first place. same goes for testing equipment.do not put the cart before the horse.

·
Registered
5,201 Posts
Amen

·
Administrator
5,465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
good to hear. i see a lot of people on forums saying that they do not have a qt set up,or they can not afford one.then they go out and buy a bunch of fish that die and kill everything in their tank.then they go out and buy more.my line of thinking is,if you can not afford the qt,you certainly can not afford the fish in the first place. same goes for testing equipment.do not put the cart before the horse.
My 2 "Boese Boys" as I call them... I have had now for 3.5 years. They have 4 females to court and spawn with. At this point the tank has only 13 fish in it and I wouldn't dare add anything new to this tank now that might not be safe. Mother Nature/Fate/Karma/Murphy's Law... will take your best and favorite fish if you mess with them or overstock!
My Aquarium list is current in my Aquariums Tab <----- The Congo Girls can go back to the store at some point so they can be with more of their own kind (they were "unimpressed" with the boys of their own kind that have since passed away.) and the Chinese Algae eater is still "peaceful but also needs to go! Why do people buy those things?

·
Registered
398 Posts
Hello;
I don’t see where this thread says anything about the reasons to Quarantine for several weeks. Is quarantining a waste of time like purchasing master api test kits that advises one to add salt to freshwater tanks if there is a high nitrite reading? Do you quarantine live plants or will quarantining only apply for critter control?

I just float the bag and let the fish go. I have never experienced any noticeable livestock loss or pandemic breakouts. DO you experience noticeable livestock loss or had pandemic outbreaks?
pop

·
Administrator
5,465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hello;
I don’t see where this thread says anything about the reasons to Quarantine for several weeks. Is quarantining a waste of time like purchasing master api test kits that advises one to add salt to freshwater tanks if there is a high nitrite reading? Do you quarantine live plants or will quarantining only apply for critter control?

I just float the bag and let the fish go. I have never experienced any noticeable livestock loss or pandemic breakouts. DO you experience noticeable livestock loss or had pandemic outbreaks?
pop
Hey Pop. Well that was my point. I usually quarantine for 2-3 weeks. Most people can't wait any longer than 3... we are so impatient to add our newbies to our tanks, myself included. This time, due to the fact that I LOVE my Boese Boys... I waited till 4 weeks... and one disappeared. At 4wks and one day... fungus. So I treated the tank for the fungus. I see that as all a good thing if I don't loose anything else... and I haven't infected my Big Tank. I will probably wait another 3 weeks now before either of the Honeys goes near the 75.

I.E. the reason we need to QT.

·
Administrator
9,804 Posts
Hello;

pop
I always always always quarantine for at least a month or more. I learned the hard way and put a few new fish into my community tank after two weeks and within two days, the entire tank had an Ich outbreak.

Luckily I only lost a few fish that time but I would have been heartbroken if I lost any of my Boesmanis.

·
Registered
398 Posts
Hello Seahorse;
I see you frequently experience livestock loss and pandemic outbreaks. Since this is what you experience it is a good thing for you to quarantine. Do you also quarantine live plants?

Do you ever consider the effects of stress from moving the critters from quarantine tank to display aquariums? Are there other ill effects from quarantining critters?
pop

·
Registered
690 Posts
Quar is cheap insurance, the bigger the setup the cheaper it is. If it was possibly exposed to other aquatic life quar it, plants, snails, substrate, whatever.

Reactions: SeaHorse

·
Administrator
5,465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
Hello Seahorse;
I see you frequently experience livestock loss and pandemic outbreaks. Since this is what you experience it is a good thing for you to quarantine. Do you also quarantine live plants?

Do you ever consider the effects of stress from moving the critters from quarantine tank to display aquariums? Are there other ill effects from quarantining critters?
pop
Well pop, I do not qt plants. Never have. Never thought there was a reason to. Yes I have had some bad experiences by adding critters to my tanks and losing a beloved fish or 2. Yes I do get attached to the odd one for some reason. I just seem to have a good mix right now and don't wish to mess with it. And my office was lonely to sit in with an empty tank next to me. The Honey's Gouramis make me smile. :-D

Tolak: Good advice. I will think twice before I add anything to the 75 gallon. Thanks. The Boese Boys are the same 2 you helped me with that Sat morning when I had an issue. I still have them.

Reactions: pop

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
:x crazy, wonder why it took so long to show up! I try to quarantine my fish but sometimes I can be impatient. :x I only waited a week with my electric blue ram.... So far I have not been punished by the universe for my impatience... So far... Guess I should be careful of the diseases that surface later on...

I think another interesting thing you can do it be certain there's no disease is, if the tank is large enough, add one of your current fish. In case the newcomer is immune and a carrier you'll find out... It may sound mean but it's better than them all getting sick... That is, after quarantining for a while to be pretty certain it's fine. My thinking is like bringing small pox to the Americas. Native Americans who were not exposed to it before were especially susceptible. Think this could happen?

·
Registered
5,201 Posts
Hello;

pop

Everything that goes into a show tank is quarantined for at least a month. I'm not sure what kind of fish you keep, but I have like $500 worth of fish in just one tank. To put my investment in needless risk is just crazy, IMO.

Last time I didn't properly quarantine was several years ago - I ended up with neon tetra disease and lost 85% of a fully stocked 30 gallon tank. Had I quarantined even for the minimum of 2 weeks that disaster would have been avoided.

Reactions: SeaHorse

·
Registered
5,201 Posts
I think another interesting thing you can do it be certain there's no disease is, if the tank is large enough, add one of your current fish. In case the newcomer is immune and a carrier you'll find out... It may sound mean but it's better than them all getting sick... That is, after quarantining for a while to be pretty certain it's fine. My thinking is like bringing small pox to the Americas. Native Americans who were not exposed to it before were especially susceptible. Think this could happen?

This is something that's often done in saltwater setups, many of which make my $500 look like chump change. When you've got thousands of dollars tied up in livestock you better believe many of them move fish from the show tank to the quarantine tank.

In my own experience, I had 6 chanchitos (cichlids) in a 55 gallon tank with a couple of schools. I added a school of giant danios that were quarantined for a month. In the next 2 days 3 of the cichlids died - fish that I'd had in that tank for 6 months. As it was I only wanted to keep 2 of them so it wasn't really a problem.

Sometimes things like that happen. Things you cannot account for, even though you do everything right.

Some people are able to dodge bullets for years and years. Good for them :) Like driving without insurance, its all well and good till you get caught.

I will add though, that it's extremely rare that anything serious ever happens in quarantine in my experience.

·
Registered
398 Posts
hello;
Thanks all for the answers so qt is a form of insurance. What can I say but live and learn.
I do have one more question since qt tanks are temp abode for critters how do you keep the qt cycled?
pop

·
Registered
5,201 Posts
VERY good question since a QT should be cycled. My quarantine tanks run 24/7 so I don't have to do anything. People who set theirs up and break them down move media from their main tank to the quaratine tank.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.