Tropical Fish Keeping banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi everyone, today i got a baby bushynose pleco from my LFS and it doesnt have a bushy nose. is this because it is a baby and they don't grow the bristles until later or is it not a bushynose? thanks

·
Registered
137 Posts
hi everyone, today i got a baby bushynose pleco from my LFS and it doesnt have a bushy nose. is this because it is a baby and they don't grow the bristles until later or is it not a bushynose? thanks
Yes. When they get older, they will get their "bushy" or "bristle" nose. When I got mine, he didn't have it either. You can kind of see how he is now in my avatar. Don'tworry, he'll get there.

·
Registered
5,139 Posts
Could be a young female in which case bristles will be fewer to none, compared to that of Male.
Should be able to tell by three inches ,what the sex is for sure.
Smaller than this,,it is hard to tell IME.

·
Registered
10,398 Posts
Could be a young female in which case bristles will be fewer to none, compared to that of Male.
Should be able to tell by three inches ,what the sex is for sure.
Smaller than this,,it is hard to tell IME.
Not that I'd ever disagree with 1077 (sacrilege!):
I've decided you can tell male/female at the two inch size. I only say this as I have one of each, aquired both at the one inch mark. My male started getting his bristles when he reached two inches.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
mine is about 1.25in. i hope it is a male because i want a lot of bristles! they are so cute! thanks guys

·
Registered
253 Posts
Hrmm, sorry to mooch off this, but 2 inches? I just got a new one, it's about 2 inches, and it only has visible bristles around it's mouth. Interesting....
Posted via Mobile Device

1 - 7 of 7 Posts