·
Registered
729 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
sudden curiosity.

why don't diatoms last ?
they're commonly seen as an issue with new tanks only

why ?

if someone wanted, why couldn't they culture these in their tank for their fish on a more indefinite scale?
reading an article elsewhere raised this curiosity with me.

·
Registered
5,201 Posts
I have read that they consume the excess silicates, and when its gone they're gone.

·
Registered
5,201 Posts
I don't think it has anything to do with the water, much like ammonia. However, unlike ammonia it would seem there is a finite amount of food, therefor I would guess that it's got to do with what's in the tank, rather than the water itself.

Reactions: rickey

·
Registered
840 Posts
just curious

So...theoreticaly, if one were to ,for some reason , add silicon dioxide ,would it be possible to maintain a culture of diatoms?

·
Banned
196 Posts
So...theoreticaly, if one were to ,for some reason , add silicon dioxide ,would it be possible to maintain a culture of diatoms?
In theory, yes, but what happens in reality is as an aquarium matures the diatoms will be out competed by bacteria, some plant, and some animal. The diatoms are always there just not in high enough number to be seem. Everyone is looking for their piece of the pie

R

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
sudden curiosity.

why don't diatoms last ?
they're commonly seen as an issue with new tanks only

why ?

if someone wanted, why couldn't they culture these in their tank for their fish on a more indefinite scale?
reading an article elsewhere raised this curiosity with me.
+2

unlike ammonia/nitrites/nitrates/ phosphates/co2 silicates are not part of the bioload.

So initially you have silicates. From whatever source (like the sand).

But you never add more silicates (like sand?) to the system.

So once the silicates use up the "extra" silicates, and as stated above, the diatoms die off.

my .02

ps you also don't get diatoms if you start the tank fully planted. Well at least I don't anyway. :p

my .02

·
Registered
2,088 Posts
I'm not sure I agree with you on the sand. First of all sand is inert.
If it is somehow possible for diatoms feed on the silicate dioxide from sand... your sand will be diminishing as the diatoms flourish... which is not the case.
Additionally diatoms are present in many new tanks that do not use sand as a substrate. In fact most new tank owners coming into the hobby opt for gravel rather than sand.

I also disagree with not adding silicate in to the tank, silicates are ever present in the water supply... so when you perform a water change or top off you are replenishing silicates.

I'm much happier with rickey's explaination for now. lol

Sent from Petguide.com App

1 - 9 of 9 Posts