Tropical Fish Keeping banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I noticed a white spot on my female platy past her belly close to tail, today she was hovering on the bottom. She is pregnant, what is the spot and how does the female act when she is about to have babies???

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
any suggestions on white spot

please does anyone have a suggestion on the white spot of my female platy??

·
Registered
6,174 Posts
Oh, honey! I'm so sorry. . .

I wish I had seen this thread yesterday, but she went so fast, there probably wasn't anything you could have done to help her. . . still sorry you had to face it alone.

If she was in a community with other fish, I would recommend doing a water change, and keep a close eye on the others for any signs of the same issue with them. Hopefully this was a random one-time thing, but if not, we have an area of the forum dedicated to helping with illness. If you see ANY signs of this 'white spot' on your other fish, please fill in the Diagnosis form you will find there, and post for help.

*hugs* I'm sad for your loss. . .

·
Registered
5,201 Posts
"White spot" can be any number of things, and we all kind of think of different things when we see those words. If it all possible, it's always best to post a picture of it. Like Chesh said, do a water change and keep an eye on the other fish.

Reactions: Chesh

·
Registered
5,201 Posts
Do you have a quarantine tank? It is really an important thing to have, and use.

Reactions: Chesh

·
Registered
6,174 Posts
Jaysee is right, QT tanks are very important to use when introducing new fish into an established tank, or to have on-hand should you need to pull a sick/injured fish out for observation/medicating. I like using my 10g as a QT for smaller fish. Its a large enough size for me to easily maintain water quality, and if medications are required, most dosages are easy to measure to a tank this size. . .

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ok that is a good idea. I am just starting out so I will get QT as soon as I can. When I get a new fish how long should I keep them in the QT?

·
Registered
6,174 Posts
I typically keep my new arrivals in QT for a period of 6 - 12 weeks, depending on if I see any issues. Many people on this forum will recommend a 4-week minimum, but I have seen serious problems occur the day before the 4 week mark, so. . . better safe than sorry to me!

You'll also have to decide if you wish to treat for possible problems. As Mitch said, many people do choose to medicate against parasites or heat treat for ich before seeing any signs of the illness. I do not, feeling that keeping the stress level of a new arrival low is the healthiest and kindest way to bring them home safely.

You'll want to consider putting a sponge or an extra filter cartridge into your main tank/filter (if possible) for a month or so before purchasing new fish. This way, when you get your QT tank set up and are ready to stock, you can use the 'extra' filter media to help cycle the QT tank and keep things stable for the newbies.

·
Registered
6,174 Posts
We're glad you found us, too! I knew you'd learn a lot (and have fun, hopefully!). Weekend is here! Maybe tomorrow you can sneak the laptop away! *giggle*

1 - 18 of 18 Posts