Tropical Fish Keeping banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have scattered white rocks in my 10G and they are turning brown/becoming dirty.

is this some form of algae or just a natural occurrence?

·
Registered
2,866 Posts
If the tank is less than 9 moths old just give it time and it will go away. If the rocks are less than 9 months old same thing. If it is an older tank then it may be an issue of circulation. It could also be a silica ornament that you have added to the tank recently that the diatoms feed off. I added a painted and fired ceramic ornament and for the first 4 weeks it grew massive amounts of diatoms because of the glass finish.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
cool. the tank is relatively new... had it up and running since november. hopefully it goes away fairly soon lol

i do have a ceramic and fired decor in it. and it is a little heavier on that

·
Registered
2,866 Posts
Give it some time and make sure that you have some circulation around it. If there are any dead spots they will get it a little worse. My BN plecos ate it and I think otos will eat it so it might be a good thing in the short run.

·
Banned
2,012 Posts
fish_4_all said:
Give it some time and make sure that you have some circulation around it. If there are any dead spots they will get it a little worse. My BN plecos ate it and I think otos will eat it so it might be a good thing in the short run.
otos love it, i see a dot of diatoms one day, the next its gone, with only one .5 inch oto in the tank.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I read somewhere that if your rocks turn brown, it could be a lack of oxygen in the water.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts