Tropical Fish Keeping banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a white Red Cap Oranda that Has recently devopled two brown spots on one of her tail fins. it doesnt look like fin rot, so I'm not sure what it could be. I have put her in my 10 gallon hospital tank and put aquarium salt and T.C Tetracycline in the tank. She was in the tank with my other two Gold fish. and those two dont seem to be affected at all. They are in a 20 galon tank (yes I know this is too small for goldfish, but they are very small right now and I plan on transferring them to a 75 gallon once I have it set up) I think it's some sort of bacterial problem on her. everything I saw online, pointed to Flukes, but I wanted some input from you guys

Here is teh chart

1. Size of tank? 20 Gal, However she's in the 10 gall hospital tank

2. Water parameters
a. Ammonia? 0
b. Nitrite? I forgot what the reading was, but it was fairly high
c. Nitrate? 80ppm
d. pH, KH and GH? 6.8 ph
e. Test kit? API master kit

3. Temperature? 75f

4. FW (fresh water) or BW (brackish)? FW

5. How long the aquarium has been set up? 1 month, so It's still cycling, Which is why the nitrates/nitrites are still high

6. What fish do you have? How many are in your tank? How big are they? How long have you had them? Two orands and a fan tail in the 20 g. one of the orandas has been moved to the 10g hospital tank. All three of them are only about 2 inches long right now. have had the orange oranda for 2 months, the other two for 2 weeks

7. Were the fish placed under quarantine period (minus the first batch from the point wherein the tank is ready to accommodate the inhabitants)? no

8. a. Any live plants? Fake plants? moneywart
b. Sand, gravel, barebottom? barebottom
c. Rocks, woods, fancy decors? Any hollow decors? Hollow faux tree stump

9. a. Filtration? Don't know the specifics of the filter with out looking at it
b. Heater? yes

10. a. Lighting schedule? What lights are used? Flourescent lights, On in the morning turned off at night. about 12 hours of light
b. Any sunlight exposure? How long? very little in the morning

11. a. Water change schedule? I've been doing about 25% every other day and 50% once a week
b. Volume of water changed?
c. Well water, tap water, RO water? Tap water
d. Water conditioner used? Prime
e. Frequency of gravel/sand (if any) vacuumed? n/a

12. Foods? mixed between Goldfish protein flakes and tropical flakes. Also get boiled lettuce once every few days
How often are they fed? Flakes once a day, lettuce twice a week

13. a. Any abnormal signs/symptoms? other than the spots on the one, no
b. Appearance of poop? normal
c. Appearance of gills? normal

14. a. Have you treated your fish ahead of diagnosis? Started treatment today as soon as i noticed the problem
b. What meds were used? T.C Tetracycline, aquarium salt

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'll try to take some tonight and post them tomorrow afternoon

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So I wasnt able to get good pictures. However i tried the swabbing the spot with peroxide, and it didnt do anything. HOWEVER, when I did the swabbing, the spots moved! So i know they were parasites. Looked like little ticks. I managed to get them off without damaging the fins. But she's still acting up. So I bought a parasite medicine for the tank. hopefully this takes care of the probelm.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts