Tropical Fish Keeping banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
828 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I've got these white dots on my tank walls. They don't wipe off easily and I can feel them when I run my fingers on the walls. What are they?
This pic shows it best.

·
Registered
828 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Not sure how much more clean I could make my tank. I was doing daily 50% water changes/vacuums. I've just recently stopped the daily changes because I am done with my ich treatment.

It IS possible that it could be from over feeding. I only have 3 little guys in there but I try really hard to not feed too much. They're not as active as they used to be since they're a group of three instead of 6 now.(going to be bumping back up to 6 this weekend). They're eating, but only when they're searching around for it, not as it's floating.

Also, I think I had planaria before. It was much easier to wipe off the tank walls. These will not wipe off!

·
Registered
102 Posts
I don't think its planaria if they don't wipe off easily.;-)

·
Registered
2,010 Posts
I dont think they move

Someone on a facebook group thinks they're calcium deposits?
Isn't your water quite soft? If so it's not calcium deposits. Even with water in the 23dGh range I have no deposits.... if I did they would be rings around the top from evaporation.

Any chance they are snail eggs? Mine are typically on the driftwood but you never know.they really look to prolific for that though. When you scrape it off what do you get? Can you look at them under a magnifying glass?

Jeff.

·
Registered
828 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I was thinking that as well Jeff. I don't have any rings in my tanks(thank god!).
I cannot seem to get it scrapped off, I can feel them with my fingers. They're hard and really don't come off at all.

I do have a few baby netrite and pond snails that hitched in on my current plants. But I'm not sure when they are matured to reproduce.

·
Registered
2,010 Posts
They won't be from the pond snails, net rites, maybe. I have tiger snails and they lay eggs that are difficult to remove but I haven't seen one on the glass let alone dozens. If you use a razor scraper they would come off easier.

Did they all show up at once or just here and there over time?

Jeff.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
828 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'm not really sure when they showed up. I just noticed it a coupla days ago while watching them. However, I am noticing less of them today. But certainly not an increase in snail population. Unless they're all digging around in the sand.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Betcha they are Nerite eggs. I had two in a tank once and they laid hundreds of eggs everywhere...glass, wood, plants, you name it. Before long my black sand had a decidedly salt and pepper look to it. Nothing you can stock will eat nerite eggs, if that's what they are.

·
Registered
318 Posts
i have a scraper that I bought, from Petco I think, or petsmart, but long curved handle, and flat metal scraper blade.
I have found that this does the best in scraping anything off. Unfortunately, it does sometimes require a bit of elbow grease to get whatever crud it is off.
Also, I found that when a tank is medicated, for whatever reason it seems to 'bond' with algae, green stuff, or whatever, and THAT is REALLY hard to scrape off.
the razor blade suggestion is good, but I think the flat blade scraper does a good job and is a bit safer than a razor blade.

·
Registered
2,010 Posts
I like the razor blade. Although I have yet to need anything other than a wipe on the glass I have scraped far more than my fair share of stuff off of windows. Once you don't have that nice clean sharp edge the chances of scratching the glass go up, particularly if the edge is dull enough to capture sand. You can get longer handles meant for scraping windows that take those one sided razor blades which makes them safe enough. I've gone through boxes of 100 blades over the years and I don't ever recall cutting myself on them even once.

Jeff.

·
Registered
828 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I haven't messed with them beyond me starting this thread. So they disappeared on their own...whatever they were.

·
Registered
828 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
1 - 18 of 18 Posts