Tropical Fish Keeping banner

White Clouds in a 10gal Tank

2K views 6 replies 3 participants last post by  Peacelily 
#1 ·
I am getting my old 10gal tank back into becoming fish ready again, and going to wait a couple of months while I replace a few things like the hood and filtration system and add a couple of plants to help getting a natural look and cycle going. One fish I'm thinking about is a school of White Clouds, maybe 5 or 6, and I'm wondering about two things: What kind of conditions do they require in order to be at their best, like water temp. and hardness, and the other being what fish would be a good mix with them. Bettas I'm not too sure about, mainly because they require warmer water, and I wouldn't mind neon or cardinal tetras, but I'm not sure if their standards conflict with the clouds or not.
I am considering a few cory catfish and a bristlenose pleco, and looking for something to fill in the other two levels in the tank. Another set of fish I'm looking into are guppies, but I'm not too sure how high their requirements they require. Anyway, open to suggestions and advice since this would be the first time in a long time that I've tried to run two tanks at the same time.

#2 · (Edited)
I've got a breeding group of long-fin Whiteclouds in a 10 gallon at the moment. Nice to find someone else that likes them! I had 100+ in a 125g tank for a long time along with some Australian Rainbows.

To your question:
I'd suggest, if you want corys, a species that likes it slightly cooler, like the pepper corys. There are other cory species from cooler waters (can't remember the specific species off hand). The White Clouds definitely do better below 77F. I house both Pepper Corys and White Clouds together and shoot for a tank temp of 72-75 (for the Corys). White Clouds are good down into 50-degree water, but don't do well above about 77. Also have had BN plecos in with my the bunch, in a larger tank, but a 10 gallon is getting a little tight for a grown BN pleco.

#3 ·
A group of six white clouds with a small group of pepper corys could work if you kept the temperature in the low 70s (upper range for white clouds, lower range for the corys). Otherwise their water parameters match pretty well. I have a mix of the "regular" white clouds and the golden variety and I think they look good together -- it adds some color variation. White clouds are beautiful fish and a lot of fun to watch.

On the other hand, both species might be better off in a 15 gallon than a 10. Does anyone have experience keeping white clouds in a 10 gallon?

#4 ·
Well, too late now, because my 10g houses a betta and rasboras. While I might try for a third, but it would have to wait until I move into either a bigger apartment or house, because considering the size of my apartment, a third one would be pushing it.
While I wouldn't mind a White Cloud tank, the problem is trying to find out what fish would go with them and what would be the best temperature if I were to mix them up with others. Goggle it, and some say goldfish, while others say bad idea.

#5 ·
Goggle it, and some say goldfish, while others say bad idea.
Temperature-wise, they work together, but it's not a good long-term mix. The Whiteclouds would eventually be snacks for the Goldfish as the Goldfish got larger. A 10 gallon is too small for any type of carp, other than fry.

#7 ·
White clouds are actually sub-tropical, but there's the problem -- there just aren't as many sub-tropical fishes available. For nearly two years now I've kept mine with several dojo loaches, and the combination has worked very well. That may change as the loaches approach full size (8 - 10 inches), but with the largest just shy of 6 inches (she was 1 1/4 inch when I got her!) I haven't seen any behavior that makes me think the loaches view them as potential snacks. The white clouds are very agile and active, and the dojos have terrible vision (it takes them a few minutes just to find bottom-feeder pellets), so I'm optimistic that the combination will continue to work. But I'm keeping an eye on the loaches just in case.

I do like the idea of keeping white clouds with pepper corys -- their optimal temperatures overlap enough to make it work. Bloodfin tetras are another possibility. So are guppies (though not together with bloodfins).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.