Tropical Fish Keeping banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I have had our 20 gallon tank for a year now. Originally the tank had glofish and 2 dwarf frogs. The frogs got so big they kept eating our fish so we decided to give them away.

now, I’m having a new issue I’ve never dealt with before. I have a whit cloud that floats along the bottom of my tankat the gravel. Nothing is new in my tank, but some fish. I clean it regularly, and don’t over feed. I have 2 snails and a couple fish at this point. So over crowding isn’t an issue.

I’m afraid I have white mold somehow. I read I have to strip the tank and start over. Before doing that, which terrifies me, I wanted to ask around to make sure that is what I have to do. I’ve included a picture.
Vertebrate Plant Organism Pet supply Aquatic plant

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You don’t need to strip the tank at all. The mold/fungus is growing on either uneaten food or a very dirty substrate. Just clean the gravel and don’t feed too much, and the totally harmless mold will go.
Do you use a gravel cleaner at all? What are the tank’s water parameters?
I honestly don’t know. i stopped checking the levels because everyone seemed happy and it wasn’t very dirty. I clean thetank with a syphon and hose. I go through the gravel. I’ve had an issue with algae bloom. I went two weeks without anything in the tank because all my fish got eaten. Figured I was kind of starting over.

The tank itself is clear. Just this stuff. Should I just clean weekly getting the gravel? I’m worried about over cleaning.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts