Tropical Fish Keeping banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I have had our 20 gallon tank for a year now. Originally the tank had glofish and 2 dwarf frogs. The frogs got so big they kept eating our fish so we decided to give them away.

now, I’m having a new issue I’ve never dealt with before. I have a whit cloud that floats along the bottom of my tankat the gravel. Nothing is new in my tank, but some fish. I clean it regularly, and don’t over feed. I have 2 snails and a couple fish at this point. So over crowding isn’t an issue.

I’m afraid I have white mold somehow. I read I have to strip the tank and start over. Before doing that, which terrifies me, I wanted to ask around to make sure that is what I have to do. I’ve included a picture.
Vertebrate Plant Organism Pet supply Aquatic plant

·
Registered
21 Posts
You don’t need to strip the tank at all. The mold/fungus is growing on either uneaten food or a very dirty substrate. Just clean the gravel and don’t feed too much, and the totally harmless mold will go.
Do you use a gravel cleaner at all? What are the tank’s water parameters?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You don’t need to strip the tank at all. The mold/fungus is growing on either uneaten food or a very dirty substrate. Just clean the gravel and don’t feed too much, and the totally harmless mold will go.
Do you use a gravel cleaner at all? What are the tank’s water parameters?
I honestly don’t know. i stopped checking the levels because everyone seemed happy and it wasn’t very dirty. I clean thetank with a syphon and hose. I go through the gravel. I’ve had an issue with algae bloom. I went two weeks without anything in the tank because all my fish got eaten. Figured I was kind of starting over.

The tank itself is clear. Just this stuff. Should I just clean weekly getting the gravel? I’m worried about over cleaning.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Use a gravel cleaner. Push it down vertically through the gravel right down to the bottom. It will remove the muck. Then plunge it down again next to that part. You should be able to clean it fully this way with two or three water changes. No disturbance required. Then you can leave it and just use that method occasionally to keep it clean.
No bacteria on the gravel will be lost. :)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi all,

I have had our 20 gallon tank for a year now. Originally the tank had glofish and 2 dwarf frogs. The frogs got so big they kept eating our fish so we decided to give them away.

now, I’m having a new issue I’ve never dealt with before. I have a whit cloud that floats along the bottom of my tankat the gravel. Nothing is new in my tank, but some fish. I clean it regularly, and don’t over feed. I have 2 snails and a couple fish at this point. So over crowding isn’t an issue.

I’m afraid I have white mold somehow. I read I have to strip the tank and start over. Before doing that, which terrifies me, I wanted to ask around to make sure that is what I have to do. I’ve included a picture.
View attachment 845484
If you dont have real plants u have to clean the substrate

1 - 7 of 7 Posts