Tropical Fish Keeping banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is the best kind of gravel vac to use? I am still considering using sand as a substrate instead of gravel...so if that makes any difference as to which one would be better let me know. I don't want something that is going to cost a lot either. Thanks.

·
Banned
63 Posts
I can't imagine there being much difference in gravel vacs. It's just a suction device. I guess there only difference is the head and the size (which is a matter of preference).

L

·
0 Posts
There isnt much of a difference really you can get ones that hook right up to your faucet which is much easier than running back and forth with buckets. We purchased ours at our lfs prices will vary on location of course and how much hose you need. I have used ours on gravel and sand the trick with sand is just hovering the end over the layer of sand just enough to suck up the stuff on top. If you dig the end into the sand as you would gravel you will pick up sand in your hose.

Best of luck :)

L

·
0 Posts
Personal preference really, mine is 3inch in diameter. I use it on all our tanks from 10gallons up to my 55gallons.

·
Banned
750 Posts
hjkaga said:
what size tube would i need for a 29 gal tank?
If you go with a Python No-Spill, the standard tube that comes with is sufficient. I use it on various tanks sizes (10, 20 Long, 20 regular, 29, 37, 38, 55, and 125).

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
crazie.eddie said:
hjkaga said:
what size tube would i need for a 29 gal tank?
If you go with a Python No-Spill, the standard tube that comes with is sufficient. I use it on various tanks sizes (10, 20 Long, 20 regular, 29, 37, 38, 55, and 125).
thanks.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts