Tropical Fish Keeping banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
im trying to find oout which fish are best for cleaning the inside of the tank?

i did have some sucking loaches but they were atcking the other fish so i gave them away. :(
but now i can csee just what a fab job they did!!!!

i would like to replace them with some thing thats not going to distress the fish anymore but also clean the inside for me.

any thoughts?!?!?!?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hello fiona,

I guess it depends on what you mean by cleaning the inside of the tank. For the bottom I would have to recomend cories (Corydoras). They are great cleaners of left over food, and from my experience are not aggressive at all.

For the walls and deco's in the tank, take a look at the Otto's (Otocinclus affinis). These little buggers will eat their weight in algae. These guys run small, and once again in my experince are extremely docile.

I have owned both of these and have good experiences with both. Hope this helps.

Ken

·
Registered
12 Posts
Thanks for the info, Ken. I was wondering the same thing. It's great to have fish around who reduce the amount of manual tank maintenance!

·
Registered
891 Posts
The best fish to clean the glass/plants/decor is a pleco. They're nocturnal so you don't usually see them working but they really do a good job keeping algae away.
If there is already alot of algae in your tank, a pleco might not be able to clean it off, so you would have to clean it yourself but after that a pleco would do a good job keeping the algae away.

Brie

·
Registered
620 Posts
the overall best fish to have for an algea eater is , what Brieanne said, a pleco. But there are many different type's of pleco's. The best one is a bristlienose. Common pleco's, what i have , do EXCELLENT so absolutely either get a pleco or some cory's, they do great in a group.

Nick

·
Registered
12 Posts
I agree that a pleco could be a good edition, however you must be very careful in picking out the species. Keep in mind that some plecos can reach up to 18 inches long. I read on another board about a 15 inch pleco being in a 15 gallon aquarium. Correct me if I am wrong but the Bristlenose can get up to 5" which is still a resonably good size fish. Just do your homework before you purchase so you don't regret it down the road.

·
Registered
2 Posts
fiona said:
im trying to find oout which fish are best for cleaning the inside of the tank?

yes i have to agree. i have had a plecostomus for years and also with every one of my fish tanks. i think thats the best way to go. i have never had a problem with them and other fish.

·
Registered
2 Posts
sorry dont listen to us.....

sorry after doing alittle more research. i have found that pleco ( plecostomus ) dont do well with gold fish or slow moving discus. they will eat the scales right off the fish.

·
Registered
13,248 Posts
sorry after doing alittle more research. i have found that pleco ( plecostomus ) dont do well with gold fish or slow moving discus. they will eat the scales right off the fish.
I disagree. Not all loricariids can attach themselves on the sides and eat the mucous membrane. A lot are in the same origin as the discus but not all can do the attaching on the sides.
I'd say ancistrus are a good choice to be kept with discus. More than that, they can eat algae.

·
Registered
13,248 Posts
Correct me if I am wrong but the Bristlenose can get up to 5" which is still a resonably good size fish.
Proven right. At the moment, I have only one as it's very rare due to Law of Supply and Demand. I'm planning to keep discus in two weeks.

i did have some sucking loaches but they were atcking the other fish so i gave them away.
I assume that this is a Chinese Algae Eater. They are very well-known for attacking the fish by sucking in the mucous membrane. Not a very good fish IMO. A lot of people I know complained that their CAEs keep sucking on the fish which I had replied that removal is the best option.
This fish alone reaches 25 cm in size. Being boisterous, neither are they suitable together with timid fish.

If you are looking for a good algae eater, ancistrus and otos are your options. Siamese Algae Eaters are also good at consuming thread algae but not a good tankmate with timid fish as they can be boisterous.

My advice is that before you buy, do a little more research or ask in the forum for experiences. It's never too bad when you ask for the fish's requirements.

·
Registered
620 Posts
I had a CAE in my big tank. Thanks to blue I managed to take it out and put into my 10 my lower priority tank. Yes a bristlenose is the best option.
But where did you hear that they will eat the scales off other fish? A pleco? Wow , I've never ever seen that or heard of it. I only have 1 common pleco in my 55 gallon, and usually there always in hiding except for night, but my lil guy is out all the time...Cleaning the tank right up. Love him!!! :D :D :D

·
Registered
620 Posts
I dont get it....???? :x

·
Registered
12 Posts
There is an old superstition that = If a pleco owner spells pleco, "pleco" then he would curse his pleco and it will die. If however, you spell pleco, "pl*co" then the curse can be avoided and your pleco will live to see another day. Are you superstitious???

·
Registered
13,248 Posts
Everything happens. Superstitions are only for the gullibles.
They are myths and we, as hobbyists, shouldn't believe much into nonsense.
I understand that you are just stating that.

I wouldn't let that myth spread in this forum. This will create nerves on those who keep plecs. So that myth should never be repeated again in other threads.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts