Tropical Fish Keeping banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was just wondering which fish breeds faster!! I want to which fish can multiply its number so quickly.

·
Registered
4,159 Posts
Livebearers are fast breeders.... (platys, guppies, swordtails, mollies)

After that, I'd say the easiest fish to breed are rosy red minnows- also sold as feeder fish.
They are egg layers, but they build a next and the male guards the fry.

Why are you wondering? Looking for good feeder fish?
I'd probably look for some endler-guppy hybrids- Guppies eat their own young, while endlers tend not to.

Ghost shrimp and Red cherry shrimp are extremely easy to breed... With the RCS, in optimum conditions, a colony can grow by about 20% every week or so.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
as far as I know guppies are the fastest. they don't have as far to grow before they're full size.
Do you know. After breeding once how long they need to breed again ?

Platys and Variatus platys?

Fun stuff :)
I never had platy fish before but I was planning for some. I like livebarers. Breeding is fun I guess. I hope very soon my Molly will give birth :)

Livebearers are fast breeders.... (platys, guppies, swordtails, mollies)

After that, I'd say the easiest fish to breed are rosy red minnows- also sold as feeder fish.
They are egg layers, but they build a next and the male guards the fry.

Why are you wondering? Looking for good feeder fish?
I'd probably look for some endler-guppy hybrids- Guppies eat their own young, while endlers tend not to.

Ghost shrimp and Red cherry shrimp are extremely easy to breed... With the RCS, in optimum conditions, a colony can grow by about 20% every week or so.
Thanks mate I have paty and molly . I am not looking for feeder fish for now as I dont have any big fish yet :) . As I am getting a new tank for me, I want to use my old tank for breeding lots of fast growing fish thats why I was asking this question :) . Breeding lots of fish in my tank will make me happy :D And the shrip thing you said is cool I will bring some shirmp too. but Can they live with Dwarf blue gouramis ?

·
Registered
486 Posts
Guppies ......I read some where... breed like alley cats:lol:....durning my personal great guppy explosion of 2009......we had allot ....one insemination can give you three differnt birth of fry ..not sure my terminalogy is correct here or spelling in other words about every 21 days .......

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I went through that trouble with some swordtail fry this weekend... they found their way into the mouths of of some older fry. A thick floating plant is the way to go. Something the adults can't poke their heads in.
This kind of though scares me. After all this waiting for my fish to give fry, What he I am not at home and they eat all fry :-S

I did put some floating plant :D . I hope it helps. BTW what kind of plant is best for it ?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts