Tropical Fish Keeping banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It is going to be a tropical community aquarium that will be decently stocked, but not out of control...(maybe 6 or 7 fish total - ranging from 2-5inches). So which size Aquaclear filter would work for that?....29 gallon

·
Registered
47 Posts
Aquaclear 70 looks to be your best fit. Remember not to overstock your tank and only introduce and couple at a time so your tank had time to recover.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah the 70 was the one I was thinking of too. Thanks.

·
Registered
729 Posts
why such a large filter ?
forgive my asking ...

only today i was thinking that a lot of equipment may be rated for X, but isn't effective enough and larger is needed.

i have an aquaclear on my 29gallon tank, a 30 i believe, so i'm rather curious why a 70 is considered recommended for the 29 gallon ? ... is it a larger is better or is it just an adequate size for the tank ? or something else - dono what else it could be - maybe just an inferior filter type (have heard that about HOB filters)

·
Reference Team
1,573 Posts
What they are "rated" for is subjective . An aquaclear is a really nice HOB but you'll need to look at gph and add up what'll be about 10x turnover to better "rate" the filter .

An AC70 is 300gph .. The math works out for a 29g . I do about the same . I have an AC30 on my 16g . That works out to a 9.375x turnover rate for me.

Sent from Petguide.com App

·
Registered
47 Posts
+1
Posted via Mobile Device

1 - 6 of 6 Posts