Tropical Fish Keeping banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
13,248 Posts
Your plants will try to consume nitrites so it' could be the reason why you have zero nitrites.
At least, your danios are getting to be on the safer side.:wink2:

·
Registered
13,248 Posts
jsm11482 said:
I have fish in there and I do have 5ppm nitrates so I expect the nitrites to eat the ammonia and the nitrates to eat the nitrites.
I don't understand this one.:mrgreen:
Bacteria is supposed to convert the ammonia into nitrites, then nitrites into nitrates.
With fish, you have to do another water change to dilute the nitrites.

·
Registered
13,248 Posts
Nick, plecs in general don't eat fish at all unless the fish is dead.:tongue:
Otos are definitely a choice if you want fish at size of 2 inches. However, they can be sensitive to water quality so be sure to monitor your water quality.

·
Registered
13,248 Posts
jsm11482 said:
It is also very important that they do not eat my plants. I read that Bristlenose's will eat them if they have a shortage of algae. It's probably not worth the risk, plus they get too big (15gal tank). I will look into the oto's. Thanks!
Josh, believe me. She ate my cryptocoryne crispatula(plants having leaves at 70 cm length).:blueshake:
But I ditch that plant too for dangers of penetrating the silicon sealant which could cause leakage.:dunno:

·
Registered
13,248 Posts
jsm11482 said:
Blue, explain how this plant would ruin your seal?
Their roots are fast becoming established and penetrating my silicon sealant. If you want your tank refurbished, pulling that plant would be a bad idea as it also pulls the sealant thus leaking would become a possibility. Hence I threw that plant away.:roll:

I'll not stick to plants that establish too fast. Hmmm...my Nymphaea stellata is still growing like crazy even if I don't use fertilizers and CO2.:dunno:

·
Registered
13,248 Posts
jsm11482 said:
Yaaay my nitrites and ammonia are 0! My tank is done cycling!
Well done.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
13,248 Posts
jsm11482 said:
Thanks Blue - also, I should be able to setup my 90g this weekend! Can't wait!
Lol..can't wait for your pics of 90 gallons setup too.:thumbsup::crazy:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts