Tropical Fish Keeping banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Banned
750 Posts
In the aquarium nitrogen cycle, nitrosomonas bacteria feed on the ammonia from decaying food, fish waste, etc. The bi-product of the nitrosomonas bacteria is nitrItes.

Nitrobacter then feed on the nitrItes and the biproduct is nitrAtes.

Levels of ammonia and nitrItes are dangerous to most fish and only extreme levels of nitrAtes are very dangerous.

If you're cycling with hardy fish (most livebearers) then the ammonia and nitrItes will elevate and drop. When they constantly remain at 0, with a nitrAte level above 0, then it is completed the cycle. UNLESS, the tank is not fully stocked with fish, which will require you to add more fish, which will then continue with the cycle again.

·
Banned
750 Posts
They should be ok to handle the elevated ammonia/nitrIte levels. 5 danios in a 15 gallon is allot. I say continue with water changes and do a gravel cleaning weekly.

What type of filter do you have?

Reduce the feedings, to maybe about a little every 2-3 days. Fish can survive about a week or so without food anyways.

·
Banned
750 Posts
Sorry, I thought you were still cycling your tank at the time, but I noticed you had the tank running for about a month.

Actually, the 1" per gallon is typical guideline. It actually only applies to narrow bodied fish, like tetras, danios, livebearers. Wide bodied fish, like angels, discus, etc. require more space, and may fall under 2" of fish per gallon.

Danios do not really eat algae discs that much. It's best to just feed them flakes, with a variety of other foods, like frozen stuff. If you do not see the fish eating the algae discs, but you see it gone, it's usually the discs dissolve.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts