Tropical Fish Keeping banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
707 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I have had my 15gal running for about a month now, added bioballs from the LFS after the first week or so. I have been doing regular readings and have still NEVER seen any nitrites. I just did a reading tonight and the nitrates are steady - haven't changed in weeks. The ammonia was high a couple days ago so I did a couple big water changes to bring it down. Is the tank done cycling and how can I be sure? Where are my nitrites??? There are 5 lil fish in the tank (zebra danio's) and live plants. Thanks.

You can check out my reading here:
http://www.fishforum.com/trackMyTank.php?&tankId=10

·
Registered
707 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yes they are swimming around happily and just went to bed (the lights turned off :wink:). I assume it is done cycling, I am going to check the ammonia again now and will report my findings. Thanks!

·
Registered
707 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok I just tested the water tonight and updated my stats in track my tank. I now have Nitrites! They are between 0 and .25 so I say .125 - is this ok? I have fish in there and I do have 5ppm nitrates so I expect the nitrites to eat the ammonia and the nitrates to eat the nitrites. Need I worry?

·
Registered
707 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So what should I do?? It is a 15gal with only 5 zebra danios. Should I add more fish? I did a water change (maybe 30-40%) tonight and I have been doing big water changes around 50% for the last few days on and off to get the ammonia levels down. Should I just leave the water alone and monitor the levels or should I keep doing water changes?

·
Registered
707 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
5 danios is a lot?? What happened to the 1inch per gallon rule? I have a Fluval 204 canister filter. Currently I just drop an algae wafer in every morning. Is that ok?

·
Registered
707 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yes they definitely eat them but they seem to be not that interested, like they eat them but dont enjoy them.

·
Registered
707 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Just did a test tonight and it looks like the cycle is almost done! I think after tomorrow's water change I will have 0 nitrites! Now, is it too soon to add a pleco of some sort? If not then what one? I have danios in here so i dont want them to be eaten and i dont want a large pleco, just a couple inches max.

·
Registered
707 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
It is also very important that they do not eat my plants. I read that Bristlenose's will eat them if they have a shortage of algae. It's probably not worth the risk, plus they get too big (15gal tank). I will look into the oto's. Thanks!

·
Registered
707 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Blue, explain how this plant would ruin your seal?

·
Registered
707 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Yaaay my nitrites and ammonia are 0! My tank is done cycling!

·
Registered
707 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Thanks Blue - also, I should be able to setup my 90g this weekend! Can't wait!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts