Tropical Fish Keeping banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
675 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can i add live plants before my tank is fully cycled?My amonia is zero and my nitrite is like 5.I have 3 neon tetras rite now to cycle the tank.I would prolly just get some java fern or other hearty plants.

·
Registered
13,248 Posts
You can add plants while cycling. They are great at consuming ammonia and other substances.
I wouldn't really use neon tetras for cycling. They'll never last long this way. You will notice that neons these days aren't long-lived especially when it comes to mass production and inbreeding.

You can try Ceratophyllum demersum, elodea densa, Javan fern, Javan moss and vallisnerias. They are undemanding in my experience.:wink2:

·
Registered
675 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i know a shouldent have used the tetras but i dident figure that out intill they were already in my tank-But are you saying sence im cycling with them there life span will be shortened?

·
Registered
2,866 Posts
The more plants the merrier. Chose fast growers like the ones that have stated and also try Wisteria. Just remember to dose fertilizers because the plants still need them even though they are using the ammonia. Just make sure the plants meet your lighting levels and they should thrive if provided enough nutrients.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts