Tropical Fish Keeping banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Somewhat confused here - do I add Prime to my clean jug of water ahead of time
and then let this water sit for 24 hours (before adding water to tank) - OR do I just throw a bit of Prime into my tank AFTER a partial water change. I also have Stresscoat on hand as well. My drinking and cooking water is already filtered water (we have water through a company called H20 Solutions) - so you can see - I'm quite confused about all this water stuff.

WendyK

·
Registered
690 Posts
Prime works almost instantly, no reason to let the water sit. Knowing a bit more about the filtration system on your tap water would help quite a bit. If it has a RO system involved you'll want to use tap water without the filtration.

·
Administrator
9,804 Posts
You can just add it to the new water as you go. In other words, dose your new water before putting it in the tank. You don't need to let it sit.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the quick responses. Not sure what RO means (reverse osmosis?) - I'm trying to get specifics on my water filtration system but the website is not responding right now.

Wendy

·
Registered
176 Posts
Definitely don't let the water sit for 24 hours after adding prime, this will only give unwanted bacteria a chance to sit in since you are removing the chlorine. I usually let my water sit for at least 5 hours to off-gas (another issue) then use Prime right before I add the new water. RO water, I don't have, but I believe it removes all of the minerals from your water, so kh and gh are at all time low's. and you must add add these manually for your fish and plants if you have any.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Here's the specifics on my water purification system (installed in my house) The system employs: R/O and D/I and U/V. The following are removed from the water: chloramine, chlorine, cromium, lead, arsenic, copper, nitrates, nitrites, barium selenium, floride, TDS, radium (there are more) but you get the idea.

WendyK

·
Registered
690 Posts
Nice unit, guy I work with has one installed on his place, he keeps fish on & off. With a bit of water mixing or reconstitution you can have any water parameters you like within reason when you start with RO.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts