Tropical Fish Keeping banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a "Panda Goby" to add to my 10 gallon planted tank but im not positive that is what species it is. I have tried to research it but I haven't been able to find anything! It is about an inch long. Is it called by a different name?

Attachments

·
Reference Team
1,573 Posts
maybe what is actually commonly referred to as a panda garra. They like river style current so make sure the set up has some current. Scientific name is Garra flavatra. I most certainly hope this isn't a Panda Goby..because thats a salt water fish..luckily it looks more like what I first stated.

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
Actually looks like a species of bumblebee goby (Brachygobius genus) to me. I don't know them well enough to venture a guess on exactly which species though.

·
Registered
2,088 Posts
it's definitely not a panda garra XD And sure doesnt look like any bumblebee gobies I've ever seen :(

I think what's reallly throwing me off is the fact that nine of the stripes are connected o_O

I know new gobies have been imported into the hobby recently.... but other than that I know nothing about gobies TAT

good luck with ID!

Posted via Mobile Device

·
Reference Team
1,573 Posts
I've always liked goby's. Wanted salt ones in my saltwater tank when I was a kid but my mom wouldn't let me :lol:
But yes, I stand by the panda garra. I feel pretty sure thats what I'm seeing here.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I know this isn't a panda garra , I have 2 panda garas in my 20 gallon and these fish are very different. it does have the look of a goby and it has an up turned mouth and not a sucker mouth. It was in freshwater when I purchased it so im pretty sure its fresh water. I is black and white but it does have a small tint of yellow at the base of its tail. the only thing I can think of is that its a hybrid, which stink bc I would rly love to know more about it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts