Tropical Fish Keeping banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My first tank was a little one gallon bow mini, it has been sitting in the garage for years. I'm bored waiting for my 37gallon to cycle so would like to put this one to use. Can I put shrimps and snails in here and plant it? If so how many and what kind, and what kind of cycleing would it need? It currently has no heater and an undergravel filter. I'm deffinatly going to buy sand or something of the sort and will be willing to get a little filter, any ideas? And will it need a heater? The tank lid says this on top 1-120v7w60hz not sure if it pertains to the size and or light but thought I'd include it incase it could be relevant. Thanks for any info I have a 3-day weekend so I will have time to get stuff to get it started once I know what to get :)

·
Registered
68 Posts
My first tank was a little one gallon bow mini, it has been sitting in the garage for years. I'm bored waiting for my 37gallon to cycle so would like to put this one to use. Can I put shrimps and snails in here and plant it? If so how many and what kind, and what kind of cycleing would it need? It currently has no heater and an undergravel filter. I'm deffinatly going to buy sand or something of the sort and will be willing to get a little filter, any ideas? And will it need a heater? The tank lid says this on top 1-120v7w60hz not sure if it pertains to the size and or light but thought I'd include it incase it could be relevant. Thanks for any info I have a 3-day weekend so I will have time to get stuff to get it started once I know what to get :)
you can do a nano shrimp tank and they make heaters and filters that are safe for small plastic tanks.

·
Registered
4,159 Posts
As far as fish for a 1g, you have a few options actually.

You could put a couple endlers, or 1 male guppy (long-finned variety, they don't swim around as much.)
I agree on the shrimp thing,

I have a 5G that's only inhabited by 3 ghost shrimp, some snails, and a ton of plants.
No filter is even attached to that tank. The plants do a great job- I'm certain my tank could handle a much larger bioload if I eased into it.
I eventually either want some red cherry shrimp, ghost shrimp, and a school of ember tetras,
or
a devoted invert tank with about 3-4 diff kinds of shrimp and maybe a CPO :p

Sorry, went off on a rant..
I have a 1 gallon jar thats planted, and I can keep 2 guppies in it without any problems- they seem to stay active. (As long as the container is wide)

·
Registered
26 Posts
As far as fish for a 1g, you have a few options actually.

You could put a couple endlers, or 1 male guppy (long-finned variety, they don't swim around as much.)
I agree on the shrimp thing,

I have a 5G that's only inhabited by 3 ghost shrimp, some snails, and a ton of plants.
No filter is even attached to that tank. The plants do a great job- I'm certain my tank could handle a much larger bioload if I eased into it.
I eventually either want some red cherry shrimp, ghost shrimp, and a school of ember tetras,
or
a devoted invert tank with about 3-4 diff kinds of shrimp and maybe a CPO :p

Sorry, went off on a rant..
I have a 1 gallon jar thats planted, and I can keep 2 guppies in it without any problems- they seem to stay active. (As long as the container is wide)
Really, you're able to keep this stuff in a 1g? Do you know what your water parameters are? What is your maintenance schedule?

I have always thought that only shrimp are okay in a tank that small...

·
Registered
4,159 Posts
Yea, sorry. A CPO is a tiny orange crawfish around 1-2 inches long.
It MIGHT work in a 1G, but it would have to be the only resident.

I do keep guppies in a 1G with snails, and I do a 10% water change weekly. They're planted (water wisteria, anarchis, duckweed, azolla) and nitrites/nitrates/and ammonia are all three zero.

I do have a bit of algae since the tank is in a sunny window, but parameters are good.

·
Registered
4,159 Posts
That 1G, I have the distinct feeling that I could probably seal the top shut and they would do alright for a month or two-
Turn it into a Biosphere... 3-4 red cherries, 1 male guppy... Guppy and shrimp eat algae, guppy eats shrimp fry, plants process wastes... hmm.

·
Registered
381 Posts
All I could say is that for a tank really small like that, you can do either a shrimp tank, a snail tank or you could have a betta. :) It has to be cycle though as shrimp are very sensitive to poor water quality and I wouldn't put them in a newly set up tank.

·
Registered
4,159 Posts
Depends on which route you're going. For a 1G,Heavily planted would be about 4-5 "plants" whether they're rooted, stem bunches or whatever- although I reccomend stem plants- they seem to pull more nutrients from the water column because they grow faster.

If your tank is heavily planted and you have something to put in the tank to "test the water", then you can add something and monitor the water parameters- notably nitrate and nitrite. If they stay zero for a week or so then you're in the clear for just about anything you want.

The problem, is that it's common for plants to replace any need for cycling... but I wouldn't bank on it unless I had proof. If you have another tank to evacuate everything to if there is an ammonia spike, then you can put anything you want in, and watch the parameters. If you don't, I'd strongly reccomend at least buying about 3 ghost shrimp and dropping them in. You just need something that eats and poops to test out the plants and make sure they can handle it before you put something relatively expensive in like red cherries or ember tetras.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well here's the hardscape and yes that filter is huge in there XD

I love the rock I found for it it's perfect now to decide what plants to use hmmm...

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well all's goin good with this tank except for algae It doesn't bother me to much but it's not pretty. I originally had 4 ghost shrimp in there but the biggest one killed two of them. The big one has been white for over a week now. He molted yesterday but is still white so I figure he'll die soon. I hope to get cherry shrimp whenever possible. Will these take care of the algae because the ghosties sure don't. Or can I keep an Otto in here to?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts