Tropical Fish Keeping banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not sure how many gallons it is. On the stand it's about 5 ft tall.

What should I put in it that's easy to maintain plants/substrate wise? Also, how to people generally handle filtering in a tank this deep...undergravel? I can't imagine any HOB going down that far.

I hear angelfish like the taller tanks?

Attachments

·
Registered
1,764 Posts
Measure the lenght width and height and then google 'aquarium calculator' and plug the numbers into that... easy

As for filtration, I'd recommend a canister and maybe a well placed powerhead in increase flow in the lower areas that may become 'stagnate and have organic build up.

Tall tanks are fun, but many find then a PITA to deal with. So have some tools handy (like aquarium scissors or forceps/tongs) to make your life easier. However, the layering is excellent in these tanks and you really notice the separation of bottom, mid and topwater fish. Tall tanks 'have' to be understocked, due to a reduction of surface area - aka gas exchange. But look amazing with deep bodied fish like discus, angels and rainbows (even disk shaped tetras like bleeding hearts).

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Measure the lenght width and height and then google 'aquarium calculator' and plug the numbers into that... easy

As for filtration, I'd recommend a canister and maybe a well placed powerhead in increase flow in the lower areas that may become 'stagnate and have organic build up.

Tall tanks are fun, but many find then a PITA to deal with. So have some tools handy (like aquarium scissors or forceps/tongs) to make your life easier. However, the layering is excellent in these tanks and you really notice the separation of bottom, mid and topwater fish. Tall tanks 'have' to be understocked, due to a reduction of surface area - aka gas exchange. But look amazing with deep bodied fish like discus, angels and rainbows (even disk shaped tetras like bleeding hearts).

I'll have to research the canister, never used them before..only HOB's!

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Basically imagine an overside HOB that does not HOB (hang on the back)... thats a canister. :)

Looks like it also has more variety for the different types of filtering you wanna do.

I saw a cannister like setup using small plastic shelving...genius!

Edit: I guess it's called a sump?

·
Registered
1,764 Posts
Sumps are very different to canisters and its recommended to have the tank drilled so you dont lose siphon.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts