Tropical Fish Keeping banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
707 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It is time to add some plecos to my tank. What kind should I get? I will not spend more than around 20$ for one, so it should be an inexpensive and easy to find one that stays under 6 inches and will NOT eat plants. What do you think?

·
Banned
750 Posts
I have an L-018 gold nugget...

There are 3 types of gold nuggets, L-018, L-081, L-177. The L-018 are supposed to get up to 17" according to www.planetcatfish.com, but I had mine for over 5 years and it's only grown about 1" since I got it. It's not about 4". The other's remain about 7" or so.

If you look at planetcatfish catelog, there are LOTS to choose from...
http://planetcatfish.com/catelog/numbers.php

·
Registered
1,645 Posts
Eddie has had succes with raising his GN but do keep in mind that many many owners have had the opposite luck with them. Also you'd be super lucky to find one around here for $20. Around here they begin at $25 for "collector" plecos. GN's run about $54. The flash and Queen arabesque (AKA the scribble) do not command high prices, stay small, and are neat to look at. I've come across a few Royals that were very small at the tim eof purchase for around $30 but they have specific diet needs.

·
Registered
13,248 Posts
Alexis said:
For a NON plant eating small plec, my vote is for bristlenoses.
Love 'em.
Me too. Although mine ate some of the leaves of my cryptocoryne crispatula. Hungry critter.:mrgreen:

·
Registered
707 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So everyone is mentioning IDs "Lxxx" so where can I look up plecos but id and read about em? Also, would a place like petco/petsmart carry plecos or would i have to get my smaller lfs to special order em?

·
Registered
2,716 Posts
It's very unlikely to find something of that nature at Petsmart or Petco. I would focus on a private LFS to order what you desire, but please check prices. Most of these species are going to be quite expensive.
As for bristlenose, they are known for eating plants, and are, in fact a vegetarian pleco.
Keep in mind, if it's not a plant eater, it will be a wood eater, so be ready to supply a lot of driftwood for food as much as for hiding.
Many people are disappointed when they buy these types of plecos because they find that they are more nocturnal in most cases, so only show up after the lights are out. They also tend to be very sensitive to water quality, so keeping an eye on water params is a must. These are not easy fish to keep, and I don't suggest them for beginners without first doing a lot of research on your chose type before purchasing it.
If you find these guys for around $20, let me know, because around here that is unheard of. Pricing here starts at about the $40 range, and works up to about $100+.
Let us know what you decide on.
Oh, and if you're looking for a book with the L numbers listed... check the AquaLogs. You will get the most info and biggest selection in there.

·
Registered
13,248 Posts
jsm11482 said:
So everyone is mentioning IDs "Lxxx" so where can I look up plecos but id and read about em? Also, would a place like petco/petsmart carry plecos or would i have to get my smaller lfs to special order em?
Planetcatfish would be your best bet(on sites) if you are looking for L-number plecs.
You can't go wrong with the Freshwater Pictures and Videos section though.:mrgreen: There are tons of pictures of L-number plecs in that section and it is worth looking there. (Thanks to the pleco fans.:thumbsup: )
As to where you buy, as Dawn said, go with private lfs or any shop dedicated to fish. Shops that have a vast array of selections other than fish won't be of help for you. If not, keep in touch with some of the members here who keep plecs.:mrgreen:
Some will offer to sell you some of their plecs if they like.

Pleco gang, post more pics of your L-number plecs.:mrgreen: :crazy: Your collection can serve as a good reference.:welldone:

·
Banned
750 Posts
I've seen Petsmart carrying Gold Nuggets, but they are too pricey. Do a search for any local aquarium clubs in your area, such as cichlid associations. If they have a forum, you can probably search in there classified section. There is usually a breeder close enough. Breeders are your best and cheapest place to get plecos. The other option is through websites, like planetcatfish.com.

·
Banned
786 Posts
jsm11482

Several Items:

WRT BB's comments:

My plecs do not even come out much at night but what "little" I see them during the day is well worth it to me.

They are indeed not "hardy" fish. I am new to the hobby after 35 years and during the course of several periods of "stupidity" I have lost some of my plecs when all other fish survived.
They are also very, very sensitive to oxygen saturation.

Species of Plecs:

In one post someone mentioned planetcatfish.com.
Go to Catelog.
It will take quite some time to go through all of them (most have very good pic's) but IMHO worth the time.

Cost:

$20 is too low for the very "pretty" plecs.
IMHO I would procure fewer but "prettier" plecs.

Diet:

I keep plecs which have similar diets.
I "overfeed" in order that feeding "aggressiveness" is not a problem.

Procurement:

Procurement of plecs can be "tough".
If you come up with some plecs for which you cannot find a vendor please PM me and I will give you the name of a member who is the "keys to the kingdom" wrt to plec vendors.

Hope this post helps a little.

TR

·
Registered
415 Posts
Make sure you check his belly and eyes as well before you buy him!

Skinny, sunken belly and/or sunken eyes is a no go, he probably won't make the trip. Yes the cat-e-log on planetcatfish is a great reference tool for the diff typ of sp. i'd probably lead you towards hypancistrus due to your size requirements, there are small panaqulos that max out at 5/6 inch but as CRMike said diet requirements come into play there more so than with Hypans imo.

hth

·
Banned
750 Posts
If you find a pleco breeder, you can buy nice looking plecos for under $20. More than likely, they would be juveniles, so you just need to grow them out for awhile. I'm sure most breeders will ship if you don't have any local. Just make sure they have some kind of live guarantee.

·
Registered
154 Posts
jsm11482 said:
My suggestion is to look at Planetcatfish.com to decide what you like, then compare prices online and through your LFS first before buying. There are some VERY reputable online sellers that are not very expensive.
Happy Hunting!

·
Registered
707 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks for the replies - I havent been getting emails telling me about the replies but just checked tonight... :(. I went out and got 2x small clown plecos and 2x 3-4" catfish. I can't remember the exact kind but it sounded like "palmerro" or "palmaderro" I will check on planet catfish.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts