Tropical Fish Keeping banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I love and adore the shrimp. What could I put in my 55g tank - it's a livebearer tank with mollies, platties, bosemani rainbows (likely to move to another tank), tetras (glowlights and cardinals), one rainbow shark, 3 burmese botias, and 3 gold algae eaters?

My ph is 7.8, I have a 304 fluval filter, and loads of plants.

Any suggestions? Something hardy and cute...?

·
Banned
750 Posts
RCS (Red Cherry Shrimp) are fine, except for the rainbow shark. Plus the baby shrimp may become food for the other fish. Amano shrimp are large enough not to be harassed. Bamboo shrimp are really large and will help filter the water column for food.

·
Registered
707 Posts
I recommend amano shrimp, I have 16 in my 90gal and they are fun to watch and clean up the substrate for me!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Hi saganco

Other than diddy shrimp, like RCS and bumblebee shrimp, they should be OK. Amano's, fan shrimp (wood, mountain, bamboo) and ghost shrimp would all be fine. The little ones can go missing but I'm never sure if they're hiding or have been eaten.

·
Registered
160 Posts
rainbows grow large- i am not a fan of them they can be aggressive, i will never keep one myslelf. The silver shark however is a graceful peaceful fish, one day i hope to keep a tank dedicated to a shoal of these fish.

·
Registered
13,248 Posts
saganco said:
The rainbow shark would eat the cherry shrimp?? He has such a tiny little mouth - wouldn't have figured he would eat any other fish! Sorry if this sounded ignorant, he just doesn't look like he could eat a shrimp!
At almost 6 inches in size, rainbow sharks will try any means to consume such small shrimps.:blink: Even the angelfish which appears to have small mouth may try consuming even your neons. That one is obvious.:mrgreen: But for Pterophyllum altum, they will consume even deep-bodied tetras and rasboras.:wink2:

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well, I currently have 2 rainbow sharks in the livebearer tank (55g), but am thinking of adding one (one is dominant and the other very submissive), so I've heard that 3 is a much better number than 2 for these - then I am thinking of moving them all to the new 65g that will be central amer cichlids and rainbowfish. Would this then solve my problem? I gather all the other fish in the original post would be ok with shrimp? And if so, what is the cutest shrimp for a medium dark substrate (flourite) that will do a really good job and maybe reproduce? Too much to ask from one species?

·
Registered
707 Posts
what is the cutest shrimp
Haha! I love my amano's but they are difficult to breed (so I hear). But they are always cleaning and moving about the tank.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'm not so much looking to breed them as just not have them get eaten! IF they breed and survive, then so much the better, but with all that I have going on, breeding shrimp isn't in the plan. What other cute/hardy/hard working shrimp does anyone recommend for my tank and it's inhabitants?

·
Registered
13,248 Posts
saganco said:
No suggestions :roll:
Consider these species.:)
Amanos, Red Cherries, Ghost and Bamboos.

I prefer the last two options as you have large species of rainbows.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks Blue, and just a little off the original topic - could any shrimp work with peaceful cichlids? The Central American Cryptoheros sajica (T-Bar Cichlid) and Herotilapia Multispinosa (Rainbow Cichlid) pairs to be exact. And the dithers would likely be rainbowfish as well. Could the cichlids share the bottom of the tank like that?

·
Registered
13,248 Posts
saganco said:
Thanks Blue, and just a little off the original topic - could any shrimp work with peaceful cichlids? The Central American Cryptoheros sajica (T-Bar Cichlid) and Herotilapia Multispinosa (Rainbow Cichlid) pairs to be exact. And the dithers would likely be rainbowfish as well. Could the cichlids share the bottom of the tank like that?
I haven't kept them but as long as cichlids don't reach more than 4 inches, ghost and bamboo shrimps will be ok. Not Amanos and Red Cherries though.:blink:

Cichlids tend to stay mostly at the bottom with the exception of angelfish and other disc-shaped fish like discus.

·
Registered
13,248 Posts
saganco said:
So the cichlids could share "ground floor real estate" with the shrimp without problems? Would the shrimp eat the cichlid fry? Do shrimp need anything special (little caves, wood, etc...)?
Shrimps will never care whatever decors you keep.:) They just find themselves something to hide.

Cichlids are excellent at guarding their fry and territory, so don't worry about that.:)

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
So "assuming" that any type of cleaning crew is ok with the smaller more peaceful cichlids (up to about 4" or just a touch more) - where would shrimp rate on the "effeciency scale" with other cleaners? The only thing that hubby doesn't like are plecos (not sure what that story is...), so with all the cleaning crew choices that are left, where are shrimp on a 1-10 scale of good cleaners (1 is pitiful, 10 is awesome)? And I seem to read a lot that two different type cleaners are good - what would be the other choice (IF) the shrimp come out as a really high score? Are botias better or worse cleaners than shrimp?

Sorry for the countless questions, these are things I have no experience with. I gather I could use the cherry, amano, or other small ones in the live bearer tank, and the ghost or other larger ones in the cichlid tank - IF they are really good cleaners (otherwise I'll stick with botias in the livebearer tank).

·
Registered
13,248 Posts
Here are the following fish worth considering:
1. Otocinclus
There are over 4 species and they are excellent at eating algae. IMO, they are better than BNs(bristlenose) as otos don't damage plants.

2. Bristle nose
Try adding veggies to their diet to prevent them from turning to your aquarium plants as their diet.
3. Siamese Algae Eater(SAE)
This should not be confused with Chinese Algae Eater and Flying Fox. They are excellent at eating black brush algae.

4. Rosy Barbs
They will eat filamentous algae. Females are gold incolor whereas males are usually rosy in color.

Loaches Discussion:
Loaches are not cleaners. They will do nothing other than practically asking for food like other fish do. They are excellent however at consuming snails though you should take in consideration their size.

A lot of people never realize just how big clown loaches get. Clowns will grow to 12 inches or more and although they are quite slow growers, placing them in a tank smaller than 55 gallons is not advisable.

People often find it hard to believe just how big they can get. The reason is that they just place the clowns in smaller than 55 gallons tank and not do water changes thus failing to see the real potential of these clowns. Moreover, in small tanks, clowns hardly will grow after all considering the space is rather limited.

Here are the loaches that are excellent at consuming snails:
Botia kubotai, Botia morleti, Chromobotia macracantha(not recommended for small tanks), Botia almorhae, Botia rostrata and a few others...
Kuhli loaches, on the other hand, will never eat snails. They have small mouths so they cannot easily consume the snails. The same thing may apply to horse-faced loach.
Take their size into consideration before getting one.

Shrimps:
I don't see them being excellent cleaners but Amanos and ghost shrimps often consume hair algae. Not much i can say here.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts