Tropical Fish Keeping banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The guy at the store said it was a golden pleco, but ll the pictures I've seen of golden plecos are all spotted, and mine is a bright solid orange. Does anyone know what kind it is? It was too beautiful to pass up, I had to have him!

Attachments

·
Registered
178 Posts
Where did you purchase him and did the tagging on the tank say anything else, ie perhaps an "L" number? What color are his eyes?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
There wasn't a tag on the tank at all. I had to ask the shop keeper at critter jungle (small mom and pop place) what type of pleco he was. He has black eyes. There aren't any bristles on his nose, so I doubt he's a bristle nose, and he's about an inch long.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
22,557 Posts
A clearer photo will help. But there are some photos online of orange plecos without bristles, here's one I came across. As you have the fish live, you might be able to do some searching under "Orange" pleco and see if any photos match.

Attachments

·
Registered
5,201 Posts
Looks like my female albino bristle nose pleco. Perhaps you can get a better picture once the fish is in the tank.

·
Registered
5,139 Posts
Maybe Albino Hypancistrus L270 or Albino bristlenose.
I am leaning toward's the L270 due to larger eye's than what Bristlenose have.:cool:

·
Registered
5,139 Posts
Thanks 1077 but both types of catfish under those L numbers are striped. I have a bright solid orange pleco.

The fish you have look's quite young,could develop stripes with a few more month's/inches of growth.

·
Registered
129 Posts
I bought a mature female bristlenose that was in the plant tank at my LFS. No one even knew she was in there. I asked if I could have her, I was told no. The next week we went back and I asked for a female bristlenose. The guys there said "why a female" to which I responded "I like their look, without bristles" and instead of sexing the tank of juveniles they just sold me her.

tl:dr Female bristlenose don't have bristles :)

·
Registered
5,201 Posts

·
Registered
5,139 Posts
I bought a mature female bristlenose that was in the plant tank at my LFS. No one even knew she was in there. I asked if I could have her, I was told no. The next week we went back and I asked for a female bristlenose. The guys there said "why a female" to which I responded "I like their look, without bristles" and instead of sexing the tank of juveniles they just sold me her.

tl:dr Female bristlenose don't have bristles :)

Some Female bristlenose have no bristles,and some females will sport a few short bristles around the mouth, but not as extensive, or as high up on the forehead, as the males of this species.:cool:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts