Tropical Fish Keeping banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone! I recently adopted a tank from an owner who passed. I was told I was getting a Siamese Algae Eater, and I've come to think that's not the case. In fact, this fishy I have does not look like a true or false SAE, nor a CAE or flying fox. Is it possible he's a mix of some of the above? It seems more like he has some qualities of all of them. In case you can't see the pictures, here are some defining details:
-has a golden head
-no barbels that I can see (I'm not experienced though so idk)
-a long black stripe that extends to the end of his tail fin
-a golden/lighter stripe above his black stripe
-a brown back that has darker brown spots
-tiny black spots and some yellow coloring on his tail fin
-the rest of his fins are very light/uncolored
I only want to know because I'm interested to find out what I have! He also seems pretty restless, flits around constantly, and doesn't hesitate to chase off the two angelfish he came with.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,764 Posts
He looks like a CAE. They sometimes have different colouration to the usuals - like wild type and golden - and can appear mottled or have a gold head... its uncommon, but essentially a CAE with a nice pattern.

Edit: here is an example: http://www.fishpondinfo.com/photos/fish/other/cae4.jpg

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Reactions: FishHoarder14

·
Registered
500 gallon African cichlid
59 Posts
yeah that’s a Chinese algae eater like they said they get big make sure he’s got plenty of algae to eat or he could turn on the other fish in the tank. They are omnivorous and will eat waste and other fish if necessary.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts