Tropical Fish Keeping banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm pretty sure these are plecos of some type, but not sure what. I saw them at Walmart (i don't know how good their suppliers are). They had what they called common plecos and had a picture of those. But the picture was definitely not these fish. They never said what these were so I think they might be selling them as common plecos. Anyway here they are:

They had them in all different sizes. From less than an inch to about 2 inches. Any ideas?

·
Registered
9,426 Posts
high fin....feather fin ? i think it's something like that.

·
Reference Team
1,573 Posts
Pretty sure its a Synodontis eupterus... African feather fin catfish.
Common plecos??!?! lol! So far from that. They are lovely fish but aggressive (which I like:twisted:)

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
After looking around some I think you are right agent. Hopefully somebody will stumble through Walmart and get them. Unfortunately most of the Walmart customers down here aren't the best people.

·
Reference Team
1,573 Posts
Go in there with a marker that can write on glass and put "African Featherfin Cat" lol(when the employees aren't looking of course). Honestly is a much better accidental buy then a common pleco in my opinion... at least they don't grow to the size of a small child ;-).
Maybe while you scribble on the tank put -semi aggressive - on there too lol

OMG i just read the size you said they are... babies!! ... Aww so cute! Mine is probably about a fat 6-7inches and can open his mouth as big the size f the smaller ones almost lol. I never saw him at that size.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Haha. Yeah they were pretty cute. I would snag one but my 29g is a little small I think For when it gets bigger. Plus I'm not sure how well it would work into my south american black water community

·
Reference Team
1,573 Posts
Haha. Yeah they were pretty cute. I would snag one but my 29g is a little small I think For when it gets bigger. Plus I'm not sure how well it would work into my south american black water community
yea, they'd be cute and fine till a few more inches then would enjoy terrorizing your fish and perhaps tetras and cory snacks on occasion.
I have mine with seriously mean African cichlids and even my tank boss who is a raging psycho is scared of him..all the cat has to do is whip around real quick and look at him and my tank boss runs for cover lol!

·
Reference Team
1,573 Posts
Haha. I bet its fun to watch them interact though
Just laughed so hard I spit the water I was drinking all over my computer(Thank god for my pretty pink silicone keyboard cover!). Yes, the antics in that tank are bananas. Unless he is cranky or looking for food or bored he just hangs upside down in his fav rock cave structure.. or stands on his tail inside there lol) everyone else is so hyper they tend to forget he is there and often get in little squabbles right by his cave and on more then a handful of occasions I have watched him look back at the offenders then smack them with his tail(caudal fin..whatever..tail sounds better ) pretty fast and hard then goes back to chilling there as if it never happened :lol: .. Love that fish!

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Haha. I'd love to see a fish doing that. Sorry about the near miss with the water! Didn't mean to cause that type of reaction. Thank god for pretty pink silicone covers! :)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts