Tropical Fish Keeping banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5,139 Posts
Overall I agree with the above, however I have yet to come across a fish other than discus that have issues with 40ppm of nitrate. There's been reports of some fish being fine at 100ppm, personally I would worry at this level. .
Besides Discus, Threadfin Rainbows,Celestial Pearl danios,Sparkling Gourami, Otocinclus,and German blue and Gold rams are a few other fish who do best with nitrates kept at levels below 40 ppm. Always best in my view,, to aim for 20 ppm.

·
Registered
5,139 Posts
I believe you pretty much understand it. Nearly all recommend weekly 20 to 25 percent water changes for long term health of fish in moderately stocked aquariums.

·
Registered
5,139 Posts
As stated,, Water changes of 20 to 25 percent each week are generally agreed on for healthy fish to remain healthy. Many variables come into play in regards to how often a tanks water needs changed other than the two mentioned. Number of fish,species of fish,feeding schedule,tank size,filtration, maint routine or lack thereof,Temp of water (higher temps = higher metabolisim) Ph, (ammonia =more toxic at Ph 7.0 or above) . Types of foods offered (some foul the water quickly) You must take everything into consideration. A tank full of tetras could go longer between water changes than a tank containing Oscar or pleco.;-)

·
Registered
5,139 Posts
Am pleased that your efforts have apparently been rewarded. My own observations of the afore mentioned fishes revealed nothing odd at all. The fishes did better with nitrAtes below 30 with 20ppm being ideal.Elevated NitrAte levels some believe,, Are not that detrimental to long term health,spawning success,and hatch rate. My own observations indicate otherwise. Always good to have measured opinions on nearly all topics.
In my view,, Elevated NitrAtes,elevated ammonia,and or nitrites all affect the ability of fishes blood to absorb and hold oxygen thereby increasing the respiration and stress levels which in turn,, affects the fishes health.;-)

·
Registered
5,139 Posts
Indeed it is the combined information that dictates the frequency, or should ,, but there is no one formula.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts