Tropical Fish Keeping banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
what is the purpose of changing the water? Is it a preventative measure to keep nitrates, nitrites, ammonia, hardness & the PH from getting to high. If the carbon, sponge, & bacteria in the biomedia keep the level of harmful chemicals at proper levels is it still neccessary to do water changes? Are there other things I am not considering that can harm the fish?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So the reason for water changes is to remove the built up nitrates & to replenish the minerals used by the fish. According to my testing kit hardness is the measure of calcium & magnesium & they are need by the fish to maintain correct balance between its internal body fluid & the external environment. So if the hardness is at appropriate levels is it still necessary to replenish the minerals or are there other minerals that the fish need.

Also I am not trying to argue against water changes. I am just trying to understand the reason for it is needed & to be able to determine when it is necessary to do so.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I would like to determine how often changes are required for my tank. From this discussion it seem that nitrate levels & hardness should be used to determine when a water change is needed. At what values should I change the water. I have been recording the measurements for the last 80 days & graphed them & attached it to this post. the horizontal axis is the number of days since january 1st.

Attachments

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I would agree that periodic water changes are necessary for the fish to flourish but what I was hoping to get out of this thread was 1st understand why they are necessary & 2nd to figure out how often it is necessary rather than to just say every week or every month.

I would have to disagree with Byron that nitrate & hardness measurements are meaningless. But instead say they are insufficient to determine when a water change is necessary. And that with enough information it can be determined what the maximum time between water changes is.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts