Tropical Fish Keeping banner

What is the best method for filtering an aquarium?

• Air powered under gravel plate

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Undergravel plate with powerheads

• Under gravel plate with reverse flow power heads

• Power filters (ex. Maarineland 400 w/ bio wheel)

• Canister filters (ex. Magnum 350)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Banned
2,510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is THE best means of filtration for the aquarium? Now you can vote and let's see what everyone thinks. I wish I could edit the answers as I would add "A combination of two or more" as another option.

· Banned
2,510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
crazy_eddie -- I hope your still in here. You and I are of the same mold, I think. Toolman Tim has NOTHING on me. If one is good, two is better. I have thought about another poll asking how much filtration is enough and how much is too much. How often should we turn the water over? What rule of thumb should we use -- 2X per hour, 6x, 10,12,20...........?
I also believe that there is no single filtering system that will do the job. A combination of ug filtration w/ power heads added to power filters and canisters are the absolute best way to go. Not only do the particulates get filtered, you increase you bacteria bed a bunch. And that always helps. Going reverse flow on the ugf is a pretty good idea, too, as it increases the O2 to them good bugs.

· Banned
2,510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
f4a - the only problem I have with max filtration is my anabatoids work themselves to the bone maintaining that bubble nest. lol. The glass cats and some of the others seem to revel in the current, especially those of the riverine persuasion. Most of my catfish face "into the wind", so to speak.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.