Tropical Fish Keeping banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got this guy today and can't remember the name of the fish. I can't take a picture because it has taken refuge under a rock and won't come out. This little guy can cling to the glass or a rock like a pleco but it looks like a stingray. About 3/4" long, tail included, and about 1/2" wide.

·
Registered
765 Posts
GNOME said:
I just got this guy today and can't remember the name of the fish. I can't take a picture because it has taken refuge under a rock and won't come out. This little guy can cling to the glass or a rock like a pleco but it looks like a stingray. About 3/4" long, tail included, and about 1/2" wide.
It sounds like a borneo sucker...:D

And matt, please don't get angry and yell :(

·
Registered
13,248 Posts
lioness501 said:
they call them butterfly plecos in my lfs??? they r sooooo cute,may get 1 myself
My lfs calls them like that too.:) They are confused with plecs but in fact, they are not plecs at all nor are they part of the catfish family. They are hillstream loaches and are cyprinids.:)
You will need to aerate the tank as they like a lot of oxygen. Also they love clinging to decors when swept by currents. They originated from fast-moving rivers.:)

·
Registered
627 Posts
they r lovely little things, do they grow big? im supposing not so as its not a pleco?? if they remain small i may get a couple. do they eat algae and r they friendly

·
Registered
13,248 Posts
lioness501 said:
they r lovely little things, do they grow big? im supposing not so as its not a pleco?? if they remain small i may get a couple. do they eat algae and r they friendly
2 inches is just about the maximum size.:) I would add that you will find various shapes and appearances of hillstream loaches. There are some hillstream loaches here that are called lizard loach owing to their lizard appearance. I never have any plans to buy them since they are coldwater and my tank is tropical.:)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts