Tropical Fish Keeping banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all! I am new to the forum and Need some help. I have had my Aquarium up and running for around 3 months. Tank is cycled and everything has been going as well as expected for a first aquarium :wink3:. My plants had been doing very well up until a few weeks ago when I started noticing that they were getting small brown spots as seen in the attached pictures. I unfortunately don't know which types of plants these are (just picked some random ones out at my LFS because I liked how they looked and didn't think to remember what they were. Rookie move, I know.) If someone could help me out figuring out what they are I would appreciate it! I have been fertilizing as of recently with Seachem Trace and JBL 7 Balls (one under each plant) but this doesn't seem to be having much of an effect on the spots. Growth is however still good! Here are my water parameters etc.:
Aquarium: 54l (15g)
Lighting: 1x 15W T5
Ammonia: 0ppm
Nitrite: 0ppm
Nitrate: 10-20 ppm (testing with strips..)
PH: 7.2
KH: 10°d
GH: 7°d
Fish: 5 Mollies, 3 Platys, 1 Bristlenose Pleco and 1 black Nerite Snail (all females)

If anyone could give me some insight into what might be going on that would be great! Thinking that I might need a general fertalizer in addition??

Attachments

·
Registered
28 Posts
I don't actually know for sure - I would have thought it was maybe an diatom algae. Does it rub off at all? or is it literally brown on the leaves?

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
sometime you just have to remove the uglies. Especially if the plant growth is good. Hopefully the new growth will look all better and better.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The leaves are actually brown. Cut one off to see but nothing rubed off. Will cut out the brown ones and see if that helps!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have pretty good flow throught the entire Aquarium from the internal filter. Think an additional powerhead might be too much for my fish... I cut out all of the spotted leaves. Will see if the healthy ones continue to get spots.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So i have decided to upgrade to an external filter to see if this makes a difference. I have been wanting to for a while so this at least gives me a good reason to try it out!

·
Registered
1,764 Posts
To me, it looks like a deficiency of some sort. I would reccomend dosing small amounts of macros and micros in there and see how they respond.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
645 Posts
Was only older growth affected? It is hard to tell from the pics.

What is your lighting and fert schedule? Also, how often do you change water and how much?
Is there any info about the light you can tell us? Kelvin temp ,lumen output. Age and brand of bulb?
If you could provide this information it will be easier to give recommendations.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts