Tropical Fish Keeping banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I can't decide between that or black Tahitian Moon Sand...

·
Registered
6,174 Posts
Is there any way you can ask the seller for a small sample before committing to buy? I'm admittedly nervous about such things, but I'd want to see it for myself first, and run a few water tests to see if there are any shell fragments that might increase water hardness. . . it is pretty, though!

·
Registered
6,174 Posts
I can't decide between that or black Tahitian Moon Sand...
Its expensive, but I LOVE my TMS! I have used it in several tanks now! Soooo pretty. . . inert, fine with loaches (so your Cory should be fine) and it really is a great sand for beginners, since the grains are somewhat larger/heavier than play or pool filter sand, it doesn't get stirred up as easily. Very good sand to learn on. Do you have a PetCo nearby? They have a generic (store brand, I think) version for *slightly* less - from what I've been told it's pretty much the same. . .

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Is there any way you can ask the seller for a small sample before committing to buy? I'm admittedly nervous about such things, but I'd want to see it for myself first, and run a few water tests to see if there are any shell fragments that might increase water hardness. . . it is pretty, though!
I hadn't thought of that. I have been wondering lately if my gravel is contributing to my high PH. I know the moon sand specifically says it won't affect ph, maybe that would be a better way to go?

·
Registered
6,174 Posts
You can always test your gravel by pulling out a handful and letting it soak in a jar for a few days. Test your Ph daily and see if it shifts. I'd want to do the same thing with this sand, since it's beach sand, it seems very likely that some of it is made up of shell fragments, which will raise your Ph. TMS will NOT affect Ph. I have over four-feet worth of tank worth of proof to back the packaging up!

If these were *my* only two options, I'd go with TMS. . . all bias aside (cuz' I just love the stuff)

It can't hurt to ask the seller for a handful, and run some water tests. It is pretty!

·
Registered
5,201 Posts
It looks really fine - I would stay away. Fine sands are a huge hassle in my experience.

I don't think TMS is any larger than PFS.

Reactions: Chesh

·
Registered
206 Posts
Its expensive, but I LOVE my TMS! I have used it in several tanks now! Soooo pretty. . . inert, fine with loaches (so your Cory should be fine) and it really is a great sand for beginners, since the grains are somewhat larger/heavier than play or pool filter sand, it doesn't get stirred up as easily. Very good sand to learn on. Do you have a PetCo nearby? They have a generic (store brand, I think) version for *slightly* less - from what I've been told it's pretty much the same. . .
I saw that online at Petco. It's not that much cheaper, where if I could find tms online for the right price, I'd rather go with that. And now DF says he'd rather have black than white... Does it matter which tms I get? Can I use this one: Aquarium Substrate for Marine Aquariums: CaribSea Instant Aquarium Substrate Tahitian Moon
Or is there a different one that is better?

I don't think TMS is any larger than PFS.
Hmmm, could be not all brands are created equal. good to know. Mine was very fine. I hated it! ^.^

·
Registered
6,174 Posts
Same brand... I have no idea if the 'instant ocean' is different. I use this:

Best price I found for it was at Walmart! ^.^

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
im almost positive that instant ocean would be live sand for saltwater tanks
That's a good point. I just saw that it said safe for salt or freshwater tanks, but maybe it has crushed coral or something in it. I'll go with the other one. I don't think our Walmart carries it. I saw it online, but with their shipping cost it's cheaper fore to go back to petsmart. Maybe tomorrow!

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
342 Posts
Just saw Petco is doing a free shipping thing. Might be worth checking out.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Hmm, should I get 40 pounds, or 60?

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I got excited over Petco's free shipping, and then when I looked at my cart, it said it doesn't apply to sand :( But shipping is only $6 so I'm still ordering :D

·
Reference Team
1,573 Posts
Looks like the sand I've seen around Coronado Island in Cali. I wouldn't get it. While it is super pretty it has something with a metalic look in it. Hard to take pics that show that(trust me I did my best when I was on that beach. ) My daughter was saying it looked like she had glitter on her feet after playing on that sand. I suspect that would cause the water major issues in freshwater setups. Too bad though because I love that sand there.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Looks like the sand I've seen around Coronado Island in Cali. I wouldn't get it. While it is super pretty it has something with a metalic look in it. Hard to take pics that show that(trust me I did my best when I was on that beach. ) My daughter was saying it looked like she had glitter on her feet after playing on that sand. I suspect that would cause the water major issues in freshwater setups. Too bad though because I love that sand there.
Yeah :-/ I ordered black sand from petco instead.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

1 - 19 of 19 Posts