Tropical Fish Keeping banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
2,889 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
the only ones i have are 3 blue rams and i love them. originally i didnt get any cichlids at all as i was more interested in catfish (still plan on setting up a large catfish tank) but i have recently become very interested in cichlids, especially the larger ones but i have no room for them and was just wondering what everybody has and any stories about them??

·
Registered
267 Posts
I have none! But I'm researching my options! I'm planning on some type of SA cichlid for my 75g tank...

But first I need to look after my goldies! I'm picking up their new (to me) 55g tank this weekend! Woohoo!

·
Registered
2,889 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
good luck with the new tank! :D

ideally what i would love to have is my 10g for the few cories and betta, turn my 35g into a large catfish tank (not too large obviously, but maybe pictus, small plec, syno... style fish) and get another bigger tank, probably no bigger than 50g since i live in a small flat, and put some cichlids in there. this is my plan but i am as skint as a really, really skint person at the moment, and will undoubtedly remain so for the next year and a wee bit until i graduate, THEN ill get another tank hopefully :) - my eyes are much bigger than my wallet just now unfortunately

currently i really like blue acaras, and keyhole cichlids, along with my beautiful wee rams. i doubt that these would mix but since this is only a theoretical tank at the moment, im just going to pretend that itll work until the time comes

·
Registered
267 Posts
Thanks! So far the biggest tank I've had is the 25g! The 55g is training for the 75! :lol:

I did want an Oscar originally...but I think it will be too much work...but I love the big cichlids...

·
Registered
2,889 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
leifthebunny said:
I've got German Blue Rams for my community tank wishlisted and want to do an angel tank with kribs.
ive never been too fond of kribs but when i was in my lfs not so long ago i saw some albino kribs and they were really beautiful.

·
Registered
13,248 Posts
4 German Blue Rams, 8 Angelfish and a Bolivian Ram.
leifthebunny said:
want to do an angel tank with kribs.
Trouble is kribs just love to nip the fins of the angels especially during breeding season.:shake:

·
Registered
13,248 Posts
juliewiegand said:
blue, are the blue rams and bolivian ram in the same tank?
They used to be until the stupid bolivian ram joined in the fray with the blue rams to chase and kill some of my tetras after her two other mates died.:sob: Both rams are never a problem when kept in the same tank provided you have enough space for them to establish. They had been flaring up each other but never bothered to cause fights.:) Both rams have been known to kill only if the fish is new regardless of whether it is a cichlid or not and when the fish has been weakened by various circumstances. Both fish alone have survived a lot of problems.:blink: It's their attitude that is the problem.:shake:

·
Registered
64 Posts
Brace yourselves....

Tank 1:
12" Midas male

Tank 2:
8" Super Red Flowerhorn female

Tank 3:
4" Midas juvenile
2" Texas juvenile

Tank 4:
Male and Female Heros efasciatus (severums)
G. surinamensis juvie
3 S. daemon juvies
A. diadema
2 P. scalare
H. temporalis juvie (Chocolate)
4 H. multispinosa (Rainbows)

Tank 5:
M. greshakei male
M. callainos male (Cobalt Zebra)
M. lombardoi male (Kenyi)
2 P. socolofi albinos (Snowflakes)
12 C. afra "Mbweca"
3 M. aurora
2 M. zebra "Long Pelvic"
4 P. saulosi
Placidochromis phenochilus juvie
OB peacock

Tank 6:
1 male Green Terror
1 female Green Terror

Tank 7:
13 P. demasoni
2 P. polit adults
12 P. polit juveniles

Tank 8:
6 C. compressiceps "Kasakalawe"
5 dwarf Rainbows

Tank 9:
6 C. calvus "Inkfin"

Tank 10:
2 N. brichardi

Tank 11:
Guppies
Crowntail Betta male
Emerald Cories
Neon Tetras
Black neon tetras

Tank 12:
Male and female dwarf gourami

Tank 13:
Male CT betta
African dwarf frog

Tank 14:
Female betta

Tank 15 and 16: Boyfriend's shrimp tanks.

·
Registered
2,889 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
SinisterKisses said:
Brace yourselves....

Tank 1:
12" Midas male

Tank 2:
8" Super Red Flowerhorn female

Tank 3:
4" Midas juvenile
2" Texas juvenile

Tank 4:
Male and Female Heros efasciatus (severums)
G. surinamensis juvie
3 S. daemon juvies
A. diadema
2 P. scalare
H. temporalis juvie (Chocolate)
4 H. multispinosa (Rainbows)

Tank 5:
M. greshakei male
M. callainos male (Cobalt Zebra)
M. lombardoi male (Kenyi)
2 P. socolofi albinos (Snowflakes)
12 C. afra "Mbweca"
3 M. aurora
2 M. zebra "Long Pelvic"
4 P. saulosi
Placidochromis phenochilus juvie
OB peacock

Tank 6:
1 male Green Terror
1 female Green Terror

Tank 7:
13 P. demasoni
2 P. polit adults
12 P. polit juveniles

Tank 8:
6 C. compressiceps "Kasakalawe"
5 dwarf Rainbows

Tank 9:
6 C. calvus "Inkfin"

Tank 10:
2 N. brichardi

Tank 11:
Guppies
Crowntail Betta male
Emerald Cories
Neon Tetras
Black neon tetras

Tank 12:
Male and female dwarf gourami

Tank 13:
Male CT betta
African dwarf frog

Tank 14:
Female betta

Tank 15 and 16: Boyfriend's shrimp tanks.

i will know who to ask if i decide to go ahead with my cichlid tank in time to come.

do you have a fish room? or are these tanks just dotted about the house? i kinda hope you will reply with "dotted about the house" cause thats really amusing. at the moment im imaginng tanks everywhere - living room, kitchen, bedroom, bathroom etc :eek:

i would absolutely love to be able to have so many tanks, and with such beautiful inhabitants by the sounds of it

·
Registered
13,248 Posts
leifthebunny said:
Good to know, specially before I get the tank. Any cichlids in the 3-5" range that you might recommend?
South American dwarf cichlids.:) I have no problems whatsoever with blue rams so they are my better option compared to bolivian rams.

·
Registered
698 Posts
Blue said:
leifthebunny said:
Good to know, specially before I get the tank. Any cichlids in the 3-5" range that you might recommend?
South American dwarf cichlids.:) I have no problems whatsoever with blue rams so they are my better option compared to bolivian rams.
I was planning on putting the blue rams in with my community tank. Might also consider doing some more blue rainbow fish. Options options. :p Thanks.

·
Registered
64 Posts
juliewiegand said:
thats an awful lot of tanks!!!

i will know who to ask if i decide to go ahead with my cichlid tank in time to come.

do you have a fish room? or are these tanks just dotted about the house? i kinda hope you will reply with "dotted about the house" cause thats really amusing. at the moment im imaginng tanks everywhere - living room, kitchen, bedroom, bathroom etc :eek:

i would absolutely love to be able to have so many tanks, and with such beautiful inhabitants by the sounds of it
Lol I'd hate to disappoint ;) Yes, they're basically scattered around anywhere they will fit. The basement (its only a partial basement, not a full, as we live in a duplex) is pretty much a fish room with 6 tanks down there. The rest are upstairs. 5 are in the living room, and the rest are in our bedroom and the two spare bedrooms.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts