Tropical Fish Keeping banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have the Aqueon Mini Bow Desktop Aquarium Kit 2.5g. The bulb it comes with is terrible. I have tried the half & half Zoo Med ligh. It was nice made everything look nice. But it was not bright enough. Then I tried the regular Zoo Med bulb. But it made the corals look awful. Then I tried the Aqua Culture regular bulb. It is brighter but made the corals look bad. There is no half & half Aqua Culture bulb that I can try. Is there any other brand of compact flouresent bulb that is a half & half bulb, that is bright enough?

·
Registered
346 Posts
It depend on your idea of "bright enough". Are you following a watts per gallon rule, orjust eyeballing it, because I'm not really sure what you're looking for!

·
Registered
346 Posts
Oh, sorry to go off subject, but I just strted a 2.5 reef too. What kind of corals do you have in it and are there any other animals in it? I'm looking for ideas for stocking mine.
Thanks

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have a High fin Shrimp goby and Pistol shrimp, some snails and a hermit that is it. Pistol shrimps are shy creatures but when there the only things in there, it come out all the time. You should get a Shrimp goby, pistol shrimp. There awsome. Im getting a 5g and Im making that a saltwater tank. Because the tank i have now is horrible. But the creatures are doing great and they would like a bigger tank

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)

·
Registered
300 Posts
Your wishlist won't last long in a tank that small. Damsels require 30 gallon tank ( I got away with one in a 20 gallon). Firefish requires 10 gallon as does the clown goby. That Damsel will kill those fish, especially in a tank that small.

Saltwater Aquarium Fish for Marine Aquariums: Clown Goby, Citrinis

Saltwater Aquarium Fish for Marine Aquariums: Firefish, Purple

Saltwater Aquarium Fish for Marine Reef Aquariums: Yellowtail Damselfish

Thanks for your help but Im going to probally get a tiny t-5 lighting system for a 5g. Any creatures you think i should get? Im thinking about getting a purple fireshish, Clown goby, a cleaner shrimp, and some type of damsel maybe a fiji or yellow tail.

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Okay no damsel. But a clown goby and purple firefish should be alright. If not what could go in it?

·
Banned
4,058 Posts
Thanks for your help but Im going to probally get a tiny t-5 lighting system for a 5g. Any creatures you think i should get? Im thinking about getting a purple fireshish, Clown goby, a cleaner shrimp, and some type of damsel maybe a fiji or yellow tail.
Fish for a 2g tank??? None. One shrimp, and a mushroom, thats about it.

·
Registered
346 Posts
I know people keep clown gobies in tanks as small as 1 gallon- allthough i DO NOT reccommend that. I think one yellow clown goby would be fine in the 5 gallon, but that's the only fish. I also like pom pom crabs, nassarius snails, peppermint shrimp and sexy shrimp. Those should all work! Unless you allready have the 5 i would get a 10 instead though. The shrimp goby really needs to be moved to a 10 gallon, not a 5. Good luck, and thanks for the suggestions!

·
Banned
4,058 Posts
I know people keep clown gobies in tanks as small as 1 gallon- allthough i DO NOT reccommend that. I think one yellow clown goby would be fine in the 5 gallon, but that's the only fish. I also like pom pom crabs, nassarius snails, peppermint shrimp and sexy shrimp. Those should all work! Unless you allready have the 5 i would get a 10 instead though. The shrimp goby really needs to be moved to a 10 gallon, not a 5. Good luck, and thanks for the suggestions!
The tank he has is a 2.5g tank.

·
Registered
346 Posts
He's upgrading to a 5 gallon. The fish I reccommended are for the 5 gal.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts