Tropical Fish Keeping banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got given 2 clown loaches by a friend who was leaving for overseas. They are about 2"long. I have put them in a tank where i eventually want to put angels and tetras and wonder if they will get on with the loaches?

·
Registered
891 Posts
Clowns get along with all community fish, as far as I know. They do well if kept in groups of 3 or more. Make sure there are plenty of good hiding spots for them like caves, pots, and plants.
Good luck with them! :D

Brie

·
Banned
750 Posts
Yes, clown loaches will get along with them. Loaches are nervous fish, so they like to have some hiding spots. They do better in groups and I think it's becuase they comfort each other. Safety in numbers.

They will eat snails, so if your tank gets infested with snails, don't worry, becuase they will control them.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the info, i've actually got given a group of five loaches:2 pakistani loaches,2 clown loaches and 1 greenish loach with red fins :?: The tank has plenty of hiding places and as a matter of fact i only see the loaches late at night or early morning.

·
Registered
224 Posts
iv got one but am going to get 2 more now.
:D
i didnt think angels got on well with many fish?

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
My 5 angels live in a community tank with 4 cories, 1 upside down feather fincatfish, 1 red tail shark, some tetras... so far so good the angels only bicker amongst themselves :p

·
Registered
224 Posts
thats cool, so they would be alright then in a comminity tank then?
every one iv spoken to said they are a bad idea and they just eat all the fish but the are beautiful

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I've hadmine since they were fairly small, less than 1/2" now they are about 2" ... I know other people who keep neon tetras with angels...I don't know what will happen if they form breeding pairs though.

·
Registered
224 Posts
id love to have some but i think i'll wait till some of my smaller fish have gone to fishy haven, id feel really bad it i got some angles and they started eating the fish!!!!

·
Registered
13,248 Posts
Oceane said:
I've hadmine since they were fairly small, less than 1/2" now they are about 2" ... I know other people who keep neon tetras with angels...I don't know what will happen if they form breeding pairs though.
Angelfish in spawning conditions will attack even small fish just to protect their territories and fry.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
:?: Any idea how old or how big they have to be before they start breeding? Does the size of the tank make a difference?

·
Registered
13,248 Posts
Oceane said:
:?: Any idea how old or how big they have to be before they start breeding? Does the size of the tank make a difference?
Hi Oceane,
Which one were you referring? Angelfish or clown loach?

Clown Loach will never spawn in the tank until they reach the potential size of 12 inches which is almost impossible to achieve in captivity.

As for angelfish, they become sexually matured once they reach the size of 4 inches in body diameter and age of above 9 months. Some strains are late bloomers particularly the ghost strains which may take about a year to become sexually mature instead of months.

·
Banned
750 Posts
Just becuase you have 2 angels, doesn't mean they are or will be a mated pair. It's very hard to distuinguish a male and female, except when they are spawing. Your angels might be like mine, just challenge each other allot, without really getting physical.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hi Eddie and Blue, thanks for the info, i actually meant the angels, and i have five, so i'm wondering whether i could get a breeding pair out of the lot.

·
Registered
224 Posts
ah, thats cool!!!
pose it a big hard to go on age!!!! :wink:

1 - 20 of 24 Posts